1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Dept. application letter

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by gomma, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Hello, I'm actually acting HOD and am applying to be HOD in the same school but haven't got a clue how to phrase things in my letter, may I have a copy of your letter please?
    bubble29fr@yahoo.fr
    Thanks.

2. DM

DM New commenter

To be blunt, this proves you are not up to the job.
    It is not surprising that in your only other post, you attempted to blag a copy of someone else's Scheme of Work.

3. Please may I have a copy - thank you!
    clairesmart13@yahoo.com

4. mm38

mm38 New commenter

It's threads like this that are the reason why some people think teaching isn't a profession. If you can't take the time and effort to write an application tailored to the job spec of the school you are working in and your needs then you clearly aren't up to being a HoD.

What would you do if a student copied their EPQ from the internet? Condone it?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Please STOP THIS RIGHT NOW!

Do you not know that many Local Authorities are now using plagiarism software to check applications?
    And are advising Headteachers to reject those applicatswho fail this test?
    You need to go to JobSeekers Forum and read the advice in the Welcome thread. Or attend the course below.

But DO NOT READ ANYONE ELSE'S APPLICATION!

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.
    www.tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

6. roman_eagle

roman_eagle New commenter

I am so shocked at this thread! Am I in the minority who would actually feel ashamed to ask to see someone else's letter?

If i found myself struggling to apply for a job I would at least have a go and then ask a more senior teacher at my school for feedback.

Or, I would try my best and if i failed to get an interview I would phone the school and humbly ask for their opinion on letter in the hope they would be kind enough to do so.

If i sound holier than thou, sorry but I'm sick of people who talk the talk but then fail to deliver making more work for everyone else!

Rant over, goes to hide.......

7. I am shocked too! Especially as an English teacher, when we teach Y10s how to write a letter of application for their work experience.
    In all honesty I came on to this thread thinking that there might be some helpful tips for a HoD interview as I've found a job that I'm really interested in and, as it's my first HoD application, I was hoping for some guidance and advice from more experienced colleagues.
    But having read this thread I think that I'll stand a good chance as I'll have an original letter of application and personal statement.
    It would have been really nice if this could have been a thread for real help from exisiting HoDs or SLT members:
    • What they look for,
    • Helpful hints for coping with the extra pressures of a HoD job (if you're lucky enough to get it),
    • How much experience is 'enough' experience? Or is there no such thing?
    • How to cope with staff discipline issues, etc.
    If there are any HoDs of SLT still reading this, any advice / guidance for a first time HoD applicant?

8. Hi there,
    This came up when I was serching for some help, a dyslexic art teacher looking for a promotion. If you could help after all this time it would be great.
    c.rockliffe@hotmail.com
    Don't worry if not.
    Thank you

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

So - you didn't bother to read even the last couple of pages, where experienced heads like Theogriff and myself pointed out the dangers of asking to see or of showing application letters AND the fact that ifyou can't even write your own letter, you can't lead a department.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Here you are, everybody!
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/285407/4178624.aspx#4178624
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

11. Hi there
    Thank you
    I know this is a really a long time ago. I was wondering if you still have your HOD letter. I will be very great you could send me a copy.
    gnelefanta@yahoo.fr

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I bet you will if you copy someone else's letter.

13. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

As tempting as it might be to get a quick fix to a job you need to do some research. Being a middle leader is a challenging job and if you are unable to articulate your vision and ideas for the role then you are less likely to have the skills or knowledge for the job. If you are stuck for ideas why not ask other Hods about the best and most difficult parts of the role, go on a training day if it is your next career step then Pm should have identified this. There are books on Leadership and there must be research too. Being a good leader is about having the independence and ability to think for yourself. By all means ask a friend or partner to read over your letter - but the ideas need to be your own!

14. Wow! Using a work address! Threads like these annoy me.

16. Hi

I came across your post and was wondering if you can be kind enough to share your letter of application. Many Thanks
    saj_7860@yahoo.com