1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Dept. application letter

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by gomma, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Could i also have a copy

dmiddiucw@gmail.com

2. patster

patster New commenter

My goodness! 11 pages of reply of people who can't be ***** or are too dumb to write their own application letters! Slightly scared of people who have taught for one whole year and want to apply for HoD posts! Good experience I see! And before any people moan, I am 34, taught for 9 years, and am a Maths HoD after getting experience, then becoming a 2ic and then HoD. I am also capable of writing my own letters. What happens when these people get an interview!? Do you want someone to do that for you too!?

3. I too cannot believe people would begin to think of applying for HoD after 1 year. I'm just about coming to the end of my 3rd year and still have so much to learn about teaching, let alone the added pressure of being HoD. I'm thinking about applying for 2nd ic charge position next year. Oh and I will be writing my own letter, because in my opinion it not only reflects your experience but also your personality.

4. To all those people who regularly post their e-mail addresses on
    these forums (usually in the hope of receiving a proforma lesson
    planner, or copy job application, covering letter etc), please be aware
    that there are other less decent people out there with software which scans
    websites and 'harvests' your e-mail addresses. These are then used to
    send you piles of spam, usually offering to enlarge certain parts of
    your anatomy, but often also to spread viruses. You are now aware of
    the risks.

5. What is even more worrying is the *dumb* approach so many posters seem to have of asking for and copying others' application letters - even saying "it's adaptable for any post"!
    The only application letter that is suitable for you for the specific post you are applying to in the specific school you are applying to is the application letter which you write yourself. Otherwise, it's just meaningless edujargon and twaddle. And it is certainly not evidence of "best practice" in sharing documents others have written. Or collaborative. It is plagiaristic.
    Recruiting panels and heads are only too aware that this "sharing" goes on and letters with similar phrasing and structure will generally just go straight in the bin.
    Quite simply, if you cannot write your own letter for your own job, you are not ready for that job.

6. Yes, they do, it seems. TheoGriff on JobSeekers forum has has requests not just for a list of questions candidates can expect at interviews, but also requests for the answers to said questions.

7. Can I have copy too please?
    I would like to thankyou in advance for any help you can provide and apologies for any inconvenience caused.
    qasim.nawaz@gmail.com

8. HI Resupreme,
    Could you please send to me a copy of the resume? I have a HoD post to apply for and need some directions.
    Thanks.
    Ps: email to tsemohans@yahoo.fr

9. May I have a copy too, please.
    Thanks!
    jefryhs@yahoo.com

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If you need to see someone else's application, YOU ARE NOT UP TO THE JOB.

11. I have come to the conclusion, MM, that these folks cannot read, as they ignore your very good advice.
    Perhaps THAT's why they need someone else's forms?

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

gadimnawaz, rpackson and jefryhs - a message for you!

1)
    Do you really think that a letter written 4 years ago is still going to
    be a winner today? Haven't things moved on since then?
    2) Has
    no-one ever told you that it is unwise to put your e-mail on a public
    site, as the Crawlers harvest e-mails to sell on for spam purposes?
    The format to use is lilacbells_at_yahoo.co.uk so that it cannot be picked up.
    3)
    Are you aware that we Heads know that people exchange letters and
    applications, because we see identical or near-identical passages in
    several applications? And that we throw them <u>all</u>
    into the bin, as advised by the Local Authorities who have sent out
    letters about plagiarism (yes, that's what it is) in job applications?
    4)
    Isn't it obvious that somebody who needs help in drafting a letter
    will probably then not have the knowledge and skills to actually do the
    job? That if you get an interview based on "help" from reading a
    letter written by another person, you may then fall down heavily at
    interview, because you can't walk the talk in your letter?
    5) Yes, I do know that you are angry about me telling you all this, but I am doing it for your own good.
    W R I T E Y O U R O W N!

13. Am i the only one reading this thread who is now thinking of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" except with email addresses instead of broomsticks?

14. Could I also be cheeky and ask for a copy too please
    Many thanks
    dejipt5@aol.com

15. Could I also be cheeky and ask for a copy too please
    Many thanks
    dejipt5@aol.com

16. could i get a copy of your letter please[​IMG] There is a job come up at school and I don't know where to start!!

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

This should fit the bill for all the people, on all the threads all over TES, who are incapable of writing their own application letter:
    Dear Head,
    I really, really want this job, even though I have no idea what's involved, can't think for myself and am incapable of reading the person spec and working out whether or not I have the skills, qualities and experience you require.
    Just give me the job. Then I'll expect you to give me 'support' when I prove unable to do the job and I'll probably go off sick when you find me sadly wanting.
    Yours sincerely

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, no, no, Middlemarch.
    The traditional ending for an incompetent letter is:
    Yours Sincerely.