1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Dept. application letter

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by gomma, Mar 5, 2005.

1. I've been scrolling through this thread looking for useful information, but ended up laughing out loud and then despairing at everyone's pleas for copies of the same letter! I think it's been pointed out that there's the chance of clone letters appearing everywhere - and what if the original letter writer wanted to use their own letter again and was accused of lack of originality!

There has been some good advice amongst the panic though, and what I'd like to know now is if anyone could point me in the direction of possible interview questions that could arise in a HoD interview? The last level of interviewing I had was at NQT level, ie "How would you teach *** to Year 9" or "What's the worst lesson you've taught". I am currently 2nd in dept but was never interviewed for the post so I feel I'm missing some of this particular ladder's rungs and consequently am very scared of losing my footing! Plus I don't want to ask my current HoD's advice because I don't want to let on yet that I'm looking elsewhere.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

2. blt

blt New commenter

In my interview one of the questions was what in was that had motiated me to want to become a HoD

3. medieval

medieval New commenter

Questions for HOD interview:

You can still get some of those NQT qus at HOD interviews, but these are some of the qus I remember:

- How to maintain/increase recruitment at GCSE/A level
    - Strategies to improve results at all stages
    - ideas to revitalise the curriculum
    - what experiences you think would benefit pupils
    - management scenarios (ie how to deal with other teachers in your dept having problems in their classes)

Hope this helps.

4. Could I have any help anyone can offer on applying for HOD - following very successful out going one - need ideas for letter as well as answers for interview questions.

Thank you very much

5. hey all,

would love a copy of HOD application letters that people have......

eternally grateful.....

davidmullen14@hotmail.com

6. I once worked for awful HoD now wonder if she managed to impress SMT by using someone else's letter of application.

Don't mean to be rude we all need help and advice occassionally but if you can't even write the letter what makes you think you'll survive interview or even the job.

I think a far better idea is what I did which was to write a letter of application for a job I desperately wanted I then took that to the assistant head at the school I was in at the time and he gave me advice based on his experience and his knowledge of me as a teacher.

7. i am applying for a head of department post at my current school, i noticed that someone posted that they have an excellent letter of application for this - can anyone help?

8. last message sound familiar? i am going for a head of department post but agree with many of other peoples comments - we are all well qualified professionals who are more than capable of writing our own successfull letters and shouldnt resort to that need to copy someone elses work just because of nerves and the potential new challenge. i am going to write my own letter, no matter how **** it might turn out. p.s. goodluck everyone

9. I started my new school in september and everything is going well. However my head of department is going off for a year on maternity!!! And i have been asked to apply my the Head in a brief memo, by monday 12th DEC...so im panicing. Im only in my 3rd year but would relish this opportunity to step up for the year. Ive got serious writers block have written some of my letter but now a little lost could someone please help ASAP

Cheers Mat matoak@hotmail.com

10. pizza

pizza New commenter

I am considering applying for a post of hod in the new year. Would be greatful for a copy also.
    ranir@hotmail.co.uk

11. pussycat

pussycat New commenter

OMG! Heads countrywide are going to be bombarded by applicants using THE SAME LETTER!!

For God's sake you lot - write your own which reflects YOU not someone else.

12. Please send me your copy of HOD application letter on this email: wp7560@yahoo.co.uk
    Thanks

13. xg!

xg! New commenter

14. ploughlane

ploughlane New commenter

This thread is hilarious!! The original posting was so long ago the original poster has probably retired!! By the way don't bother sending a letter or CV to me because I wrote my own and got a HoD job a couple of weeks ago.