1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Department tips

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by mehdiz1991, Jul 10, 2019.

1. mehdiz1991

mehdiz1991 New commenter

Hi all,

Recently I have been made HOD for a school/ sixth form

they do GCSE or BTEC Buisness at Y9-11
    and then BTEC Business single and double award and A Level Economics at Sixth form

4-5 members of staff

This is a career move for me, and wondering for other HODs out there or senior leaders, what HINTS and TIPS would you give someone new to that position

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Be extremely organised.

3. Chazette

Chazette New commenter

Can't give you any subject specific advice, but from someone stepping away from HoD after a year I can give you a bit of generic maybe.

1. Organisation is key - write a timetable of what needs doing - agendas for dept meetings/line management meetings. Assessment Calendar etc. so you can get things in and done in advance.
    2. Watch what you say/how you act infront of people - some staff may take informal comments a little more seriously than intended.
    3. Make sure you get the support from your line manager/SLT both with your development and with the dept. Ask for help when you need it. If you have a 2nd, make sure you are both on the same page infront of other memebers of staff.

I made a lot of mistakes this year and equally learned a lot. There are some excellent HoD out there but they will have had to work to get to that point! Good luck!!!