1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Department Interview

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by mprcomp, May 18, 2011.

1. I have an excellent opportunity on Friday as I am attending an interview for a head of department job.
    This is my first interview for a head of department job. I have to teach a 25 minute lesson to year 10 students about graphics.
    I have my own ideas on what I am going to do but wondered if anyone else had any good ones?

2. Thought it might worth adding that they currently follow the Dida qualification.

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Just a thought but if you're worried about your lesson you may be not concentrating on the correct things. You've probably taught a few lessons that were good or better by now so delve into these and extract the good bits.
    What are you looking for when you observe lessons? How do you know learning has happened/is happening and how are you going to consolidate it?

HTH

4. I have frame work for lesson plan now and presentation to go with it.
    Have engaging crazytalk introduction
    Not been told what software they use so waiting to know what skills to use
    Have included evidence of peer asessment(Only brief)
    Have included a demonstrate activity that should show that all learners have made some progress
    Have a quick and sharp question session to end off.

All in 25 minutes.

Now need to start thinkng about interview questions and the questions the student council will fire at me.
    Cheers

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Hmm I would be expecting you to be the engaging explaining the introduction one not some animation you knocked up.
    Please let us know what software that they have and find out what experience they have in using it. If you plan for a lesson using say clone bush and layers to find they have done it already then you are boned before you start.

6. Teaching something is down to your own choice, but one issue that I have to emphasise as HOF to other staff and the students with the DIDA Graphics is that it's easy to do vector stuff (which my students love) but they equally have to show appropriate use of bitmap skills. Use (and evidencing of both) is worth up to 18/42. Emphasising this and getting them to combine both B&V in a 'representation' could be something worth doing.
    Have a look at the current graphics spb (http://www.edexcel.com/quals/dida/spb/0909/Pages/Unit3.aspx) and maybe do something like have them add a vector of a medal to a photo of someone in a tracksuit, scale it, edit ribbon,etc.
    If they are Y10 I would guess this is not the SPB they are working on. Might be worth familiarising with the Sept 10 ones too (http://www.edexcel.com/quals/dida/spb/0910/Pages/Unit3.aspx)
    Might also be worth having a look at my marking grid(s) for the 09 unit - in the resource bank....

7. I know this is a bit late but here's wishing you good luck for tomorrow!