1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Department & Drama teacher - Difference in roles

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by DaisysLot, Jul 19, 2011.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

In terms of tasks and responsibilities - what are the differences between these two roles? I'd be interested to hear from both present HoDs and teachers of drama....

2. DaisysLot

In terms of tasks and responsibilities - what are the differences between these two roles? I'd be interested to hear from both present HoDs and teachers of drama....

3. Hey, I have just stepped up to HoD - well will in Sept. I think the two roles are very different.

HoD has responsibility for the whole department and the classes within the dept. e.g behaviour, achievement. HoD also ensures outstanding quality of T&L within the department. HoD should steer the dept and share his/her vision for the dept. HoD has to fill in SEF and create SIP. HoD should also take responsibility for Extra Curricular activities and delegate accordingly. Also responsibility for Pastoral care and CPD of staff in their team. These are just a few of the responsibilities.

Teacher of Drama has more focus on your own classes. Much smaller scale.

Why you ask?

4. DaisysLot

Because there are some powers who don't see them as being very different..... I think the key word is 'vision'....

5. They are two very different posts with different responsibilities and different pay packets.

6. DaisysLot

But what specific tasks does 'responsibilities' break down in to? If you were just a drama teach, what would you expect your HoD to do that you do not?

7. Well a previous poster has already given a list of examples, it depends what sector you're in and the way that your school is structured as to what the specifics might be but trust me, the roles are very different. When I first moved from teacher to HoD I was tired for a year, wishing that all I had to do was my own class planning, marking and a few other bits and bobs. I would add to the list given - Data Management (hellish and never ending), course co-ordination, an array of management training (e.g. graded observations), various dealings with exam boards such as registration and internal verification (along with endless managing of this data), a bucket load more paperwork for related to quality, additional meetings with parents/staff/students. There is also the 'responsibility' of being an HoD, the buck stops with you. You make the decisions and any that are wrong result in your head being on the line. Things such as course design, equipment, budget management, promotion etc. Are you thinking of applying for a HoD post?

8. I think my question to you is more about why you think they might be the same. Are you being asked to do an awful lot that you don't think you should be doing?

9. DaisysLot

I became a HoD 11 years ago, but prior to that I lectured in higher ed, so I was never a drama teacher with a HoD above me. The question arises because I hear from many for whom the TLR is being wiped away along with the title, yet schools imagine that the role the post holder fulfils will carry on much the same....

10. Workloads are being re-distributed all over the place, we are living in a put-up and shut-up environment at the moment. It may not be fair that teachers are going to get additional workload without the pay to go with it but it is unfortunately true. Management is being sliced, the work still needs doing, some will go up to higher management, other aspects will come down.