1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of Department covering letter.

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by cherylaj, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Any tips or advice on writing the letter? I've sent two off and haven't heard a thing.Help

2. Any tips or advice on writing the letter? I've sent two off and haven't heard a thing.Help

3. What department are you wanting to head? I've had success twice, leave me your email and I'll send it. Just thinking tho, you're not in Doncaster are you, I don't need the competition!

4. Thanks Piccadilly I'd be really grateful. No I'm not in Doncaster. My E-mail is: jmp@rainford.org.uk
    Thanks in anticipation.

5. Hello? I've just found your exchanges about the letter. I have struggled - in vain. Please, Piccadilly, could you find it in your heart to send me a copy? P.S I'm a ferry ride away from your 'patch'! inferiorangels@hotmail.com

6. Please can I be cheeky and have one too!!!

Many Thanks in advance

e-amail zmiles@supanet.com

P.S not in your area so no competition

7. Any chance you can post a generic form of that on a site somewhere?

8. I am working on my letter, but finding inspiration hard, since this is my first HOD job.

Any help please mail me on mikeybaby90@hotmail.com

thanks

9. I dont know if you still have a copy of that letter, but would greatly appreciate it :) or a letter that any of you used when you were applying for a HOD position aedwards33@hillingdongrid.org

x andie

10. Any help would be grateful, email address is louisejones2404@gmail.com

11. forgot to say dept is business and economics

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Dear God - this thread is SEVEN years old! How relevant do you think that letter is now?

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

AND it has probably being doing the rounds of every school in the country, with people passing it on to friends!

[​IMG]

You do know, don't you, that some Local Authorities and schools are using the same software as is used by UCAS to identify plagiarised statements? And if they find plagiarism in your application, you will be disqualified?

[​IMG]

You'd do better going to the JobSeekers Forum and reading the blogs there with applications advice.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

14. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed. Not only will you then be able to draft your own letter of application for this HOD post, it'll teach you how to do them forever after.

That's got to be better than feverishly trying to plagiarise some ancient letter that's practically a historical artefact!

15. Jon_Gretzky

Jon_Gretzky New commenter

Hm...

not sure whether 'plagiarising' is the right word (although some people may certainly use or have used a copy of that letter in that way).

Apart from that, I for one fail to see why that letter should be unsuitable just because it's seven years old? To me, this sounds like saying one can't learn from old textbooks - it probably depends very much on what one is after. If nothing else, one can certainly get an idea of how to structure such a letter or topics one should raise, perhaps even use the odd phrasing (of course adapted to one's personal circumstances).

just my two pence