1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

head of department application letter

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by kalpvariksh, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Hi guys

I want to apply for second in the department ( Science) and not confident what to include.
    Can somebody please point me in the right direction. I would really appreciate a copy of anyone's application letter to get some ideas.
    Thanks. My e-mail id is humkalp@yahoo.com

2. Hello,
    As the only response that you recieved was not really that helpful I thought I might give you some ideas. I am currently in the same position and it is difficult to decide what you should focus on in order to get the role. Advice I have been given:
    Read the job spec and then match your application letter to the job requirements, so for example creative teacher- I have carried out what and it was successful because....
    State what projects you would like to undertake if you got the job.
    Keep up to date with course changes using white papers and teachers news.
    If I get anything else I will let you know

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

On the contrary, it was VERY helpful.
    Do you not know that many Local Authorities are now using plagiarism software to check applications?
    And are advising Headteachers to reject those applicatswho fail this test?
    You need to go to JobSeekers Forum and read the advice in the Welcome thread. Or attend the course below.

But DO NOT READ ANYONE ELSE'S APPLICATION!

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.
    www.tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Maybe you need to attend some cpd/inset aimed at middle leaders (ask people in your school for some good recommendations) or read some books about leadership in schools, (try the Pocketbook series for quick and easy approaches.) Once you have a clear idea about the role and its expectations this will help you shape your application letter. Good Luck.
    [​IMG]

5. Thanks a lot for positive response. It did help. I was ony looking for a starting point.

Thanks again