1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head of ADT Faculty Interview HELP needed!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by elliedraws, May 26, 2016.

1. elliedraws

elliedraws New commenter

Hi all. I have been asked to apply to be head of the ADT faculty at my school and the interview is likely to be after half term. I have not yet been asked to submit an application form so have not seen a Job/Person Specification. My line manager gave me as much advice as she could legally give. So I'd be very grateful if anyone has any advice. I'll be heading up Art (including Graphics and Textiles A&D GCSE), Catering and DT, with just a Head of Art under me. I'm an Art teacher.

Thanks!

2. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

You would benefit from mind-mapping examples of when you have lead and/or managed projects etc. I'd be reflecting on situations that have aided your ability to communicate and support staff/students whilst also ensuring progress occurs. Anything really that demonstrates you have made the step from teacher to manager - good luck.

3. elliedraws

elliedraws New commenter

Thanks so much for this, I really appreciate it and will take it into account when preparing!

4. dts

dts Occasional commenter

Feedback I've had in the past is that I was too focussed on what I had already done, without giving any sense of what I would do in the job. Doesn't need to be a full action plan, just some sense of your "vision".

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. elliedraws

elliedraws New commenter

That's helpful, thanks. That will certainly help me as I have no official experience of leading people and won't have loads of examples of the things they're asking for, but I most certainly have a vision for the department and ideas about what needs improving/how. Thanks! Interview next week :0)

6. bob79

You might have leadership experience outside of the classroom, also you have experience of being led by others - all of these experiences shape your desire to manage and lead to a certain extent. Use what you have got and be positive about it in the interview e.g. 'I always feel the best way of understanding good leadership is reflecting on your own experiences of being led by others . . .' etc

7. elliedraws

elliedraws New commenter

That's very clever! I do read up on things, enjoyed Dale Carnegie's 'How to win friends...' and The School of Life's book on leadership. I think these things help me to imagine the leader I want to be to get results. Appreciate your tips.

8. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

In addition to the great advice above, I'd recommend looking up Simon SInek. His talks/books on how leaders inspire change and protect their team really helped me to form a vision of what sort of leader I wanted to be. The part about protecting your team and leading your decisions from an emotional standpoint are very applicable in education where teachers are constantly being asked to do new things for the sole reason of making it appear as though their line manager is "making a difference". Well, at least thats how it comes across most of the time :p

9. elliedraws

elliedraws New commenter

Thank you! Very true that a lot of things are done for the sake of it, not for genuine improvement. I will look him up.

10. bob79

I always think what I respect too, I always really enjoy working for somebody who always pitches in and does whatever I've been asked to do too. My most inspirational Head of Faculty taught every course in our dept and their timetable was made up of what was leftover - no big heaping of top set for them. When preparing timetables they put the students first and then the staff, taking what was left (a bit of everything) so they understood issues that developed that academic year. Great strategy and it meant everybody was stood beside them, although in a core subject understandable - this might not work for you but it gives an idea of the difficulties leaders face. You can't please everybody but you can at least try to empathise with your team..

11. elliedraws

elliedraws New commenter

I'm definitely up for being that kind of leader, there's no way I can expect things of my department if I'm not prepared to do them too. Fortunately there's no way around it with ADT, we don't have sets, but there are staff who have got themselves into a position of not teaching age groups they don't like, and it makes the timetable inflexible. One day I hope to fix that and have everyone mucking in across the board.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

upload_2016-6-10_10-52-43.png

If you do get the job and do want to shake things up? Read this.

13. bob79

That's the spirit, just be aware that nobody likes change, even me who is irritatingly the first person to say 'I don't mind change, I welcome it' - that is of course on the provision the changes are not huge and do not really affect me :rolleyes:

In the interview make sure you consider the effect change will have and how you can integrate it slowly. I lead a team who had to over-haul everything within a school (cultural and curriculum). My enthusiasm was not shared and I learned the hard way in that first year. Any change is far better gradually and with the majority of staff supporting you. Whatever you want to implement, consider the effects first and offer support to soften the blow e.g. staff member teaching on something else - provide the SoW but give them responsibility to monitor changes and lead on it next year. Also, if results are good, don't alter things for the sake of it - that is sadly your real challenge as a manager.

14. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

talk about how you value your staff

15. elliedraws

elliedraws New commenter

Thanks all for your advice and encouragement...I got the job!! Now for the REALLY scary bit, actually doing the job!

dts, bob79 and cellerdore like this.
  16. bob79

[​IMG]

CONGRATULATIONSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Xxxxx

17. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter