1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head leaving

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Flyinggiraffe, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Headteacher is leaving at the end of this year and I’m the deputy but happy as a deputy.I don’t really want to be a head. Do I have to apply?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You don't have to of course. However you might have to face having to work for someone whose policies/priorities don't match yours and as DH you still have to implement them. Just worth considering.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Of course not! The DHT often doesn't apply for the job when the HT leaves. It's entirely up to you whether to apply.

But you might be asked to be Acting Head for a term if there's a gap between current head leaving and new one taking up post. Would you be OK with that?

Incidentally, I see you've posted the same question twice on this forum within minutes of each other (once as "Head leaving" and once as "Stressed"). Was that because you posted it once but it didn't appear so you re-posted? The 'non-appearance' is because you are a new TES member, joined today, and new members start under pre-moderation. For the time being your posts won't appear until they have been reviewed by a TES Moderator.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  4. install

install Star commenter

No. But don't burn your bridges and keep it sweet with the outgoing head.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The best Headteacher we never had was a Deputy who was happy to stay as a Deputy. Well liked and respected but eventually squeezed out by a new Head whom very few liked or respected.

Of course you don't have to apply, but keep your ear to the ground once the regime changes. Have an escape tunnel ready.

6. flyingcircusfreak

flyingcircusfreak New commenter

You don't have to apply. But as a deputy you might be expected to deputise for the head at any time, especially if they leave and aren't immediately replaced!

7. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

As all the other posters have said, it is entirely your choice whether or not to apply. The two jobs are very different and it shouldn’t be assumed that every deputy is just preparing in the wings for headship. A good deputy is a very valuable treasure in a school.

8. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

No ours has stayed in position for many years. No one should ever feel obliged to move up. Obviously supporting the transition / introduction of the new head will always be supportive.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.