1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head has said no to part time

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by sjw2007, Jan 21, 2011.

1. sjw2007

sjw2007 New commenter

Subject says it all really. I made a request which has been turned down. Wondered what thoughts were about fighting it... Am I likely to win do you think? She turned it down based on already having 8 part time teachers (only 3 of whom are class room based) she included SENco, Reading recovery etc and said was too expensive for the school.

2. sjw2007

sjw2007 New commenter

Subject says it all really. I made a request which has been turned down. Wondered what thoughts were about fighting it... Am I likely to win do you think? She turned it down based on already having 8 part time teachers (only 3 of whom are class room based) she included SENco, Reading recovery etc and said was too expensive for the school.

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Sorry to hear that. My head declined my PT request initially so I wrote and said that I was going appeal, and then he arranged a meeting with a county advisor with him, and I took my union rep, and after that meeting he agreed to part time.

4. I was declined too about 3 and a half years ago due to financial circumstances and the fact we were one teacher over whereas technically someone should be redundant etc etc etc That was the story I was given. I survive full time with a 3 year old by working solidly during PPA, keeping things small and manageable and by only staying til 4.45 as my latest night when it is staff meeting. I have been in my job for 7 years so have lots of planning resources so I am n ot constantly starting from scratch. It is manageable but I do not enjoy it. I have applied for other part time jobs but have not been successful.
    Legally they have to give you a water tight reason that would stand up in tribunal for refusing part time. It depends how difficult your head would make your life if you appealed and if you think it is worth it for the stress/hassle it would cause you. You could always look for a part time job and leave. I am not telling you to lie down and take it, but to weigh up how much stress it would cause for you at a difficult time in your life anyway. Just make sure you look out for YOU as unfortuntely your school won't....Good luck and let us know how you get on xxxx

5. Hi
    I was refused part time also after my maternity leave. I work at a primary school with about 16 members of staff (7 Teachers), 1 of the teachers had just returned part time and when i asked about returning I got told that I would not get part time due to another teacher already being part time.
    I decided that was very unfair (but something they can do) so I wrote to the governors to come to a comprimise that I work 4 days a week for first long term to help me adjust into a working mother role making sure that I have and can build on getting a good work life balance. realistically i needed to work full time, but the fact they said I couldnt was what drew me to fight for a comprimise xx

6. def not just heads decision as the Governors have to be involved. Your head was probably giving you that impression so you didnt take it further. Write a letter to the Governors stating your requirements, not the headteacher- and make sure it is presented at the next governors meeting.