1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head has changed my working days

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by teenie24, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I have recently returned from maternity leave, I am not yet comfortable leaving my daughter with anyone other than my husband. When I returned to work I was told that I will be working Mon, Tue and Wed (I have a 0.59 contract). I then spoke to my husband who went to his employer to change his shifts in order to cover child care on my working days based on what I was told. After arranging everything and finally starting to feel ok about being away from my daughter, my headteacher has now told me I've to work Tue, Wed and Fri instead. This would leave my husband unable to watch our daughter when I'm working. He can't change all his shifts again as he was lucky the first time.
    Do I have any rights to say I can't work to this new timetable and I need to stay to my current one?

2. Hi,
    I have recently returned from maternity leave, I am not yet comfortable leaving my daughter with anyone other than my husband. When I returned to work I was told that I will be working Mon, Tue and Wed (I have a 0.59 contract). I then spoke to my husband who went to his employer to change his shifts in order to cover child care on my working days based on what I was told. After arranging everything and finally starting to feel ok about being away from my daughter, my headteacher has now told me I've to work Tue, Wed and Fri instead. This would leave my husband unable to watch our daughter when I'm working. He can't change all his shifts again as he was lucky the first time.
    Do I have any rights to say I can't work to this new timetable and I need to stay to my current one?

3. You need to look at your contract. If it says Mon, Tue and Wed then you're quite within your rights to insist on that. If it is less specific than that you might have more difficulty. I suggest you contact your union for advice.

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

First step would be to return to your Head to discuss it, before involving the union.
    That said, if the notice of the change was late, then arguably it could be unreasonable. It might be worth seeking further advice from your union, but it's always a notoriously difficult area because contracts say nothing usually.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you've just been told a change of days for September, I'd say that's very unreasonable.
    But I'd agree that the first thing is to go to your head and explain the practicalities of having made the arrangements around the days you had been told, and the difficulty of changing shifts. Under the Flexible Working Rules your OH is entitled to request a change of working pattern once a year: if the school wants to change your days once a year, with sufficient notice for that application to be made, that ought to be possible. I think some heads assume that all childcare is infinitely flexible, and don't realise the knock-on effects of changes of day.