1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head giving mobile number to parents...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Hels82, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Can a headmaster hand out a teachers personal mobile number to parents without prior consent from the teacher (which would not have been granted).

2. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

No! Why would they have any need to do this?! Change your number!

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Absolutely not. How he dare he? Hang him out to dry.

4. Not in my experience!

5. Isn't personal information like that covered by Data Protection?

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

That is appalling. Does this head hand out home numbers and addresses as well?

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Report this to your chair of Govs. asap. This is not acceptable.

8. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Go to your union as well. This is indefensible.

9. This is a data protection act breach... and a pretty serious one. Contact your union ASAP, and they will take action on your behalf. It is likely that your head will be given a written warning or possibly a final written warning for this.

10. Total breach.
    Contact your union.
    He will most deifnitely get a warnng. I am not sure, but I know some people have even won compensation for breaches... though the hassle of changing your no etc may outweigh this!

11. Whoa! Slow down everyone. Before you go charging in with an indictment of heresy before the High Court, have a quiet word and ask why. It MAY be the case that the school has a policy of open communication between school and parents. I'm not saying this is good practice, but check whether or not the school has something buried in the small print of a document that was fleetingly waved at a sub-committee of governors late one evening just as the meeting closed. Most schools have dozens and dozens of policies that govern procedures. Maybe there is something in teachers' contracts about "expeditious communications". We have all signed up to X and Y by ticking a box that says we have read and agree to the terms and conditions.... Just ask the head on what basis this was done. If it was an ad hoc unilateral executive decision then s/he is bang out of order and you - and everyone else -- can then opt out AND take issue with the head. If it was in the small print it can be challenged, but get advice on how to do that.

12. This may be the case, however, under no circumstances should anybody (the school, head, or fellow teacher) provide personal contact details. This is not a breach of policy, but a breach of law. If the school (or any organisation) wishes to maintain open lines of communication they [legally] need to provide the equipment to do this or compensate the person for using their own equipment.

If this is a case it will be unlawful as there would be no way to opt out.... I would also summarise that in any case it would be the case 9if this were to happen) that personal contact details would still not be permitted to be passed on without specific agreement for each individual case.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Absolutly not. Get onto your union right away and also change your number.

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

There have been one or two circumstances where I have needed a parent to have a number to contact me on (eg school visits on other continents). In that case I have an alternative SIM card that goes in my phone, the parents have that number and the school pays for the calls on it.
    The only other circumstance was when I had to go in the ambulance with a very sick child and needed to keep in touch with a parent who was travelling as fast as they could from another part of the country to meet us at the hospital. I had to use my personal phone. Once he arrived we mutually deleted each others' numbers from our phones as part of me handing over to him.

15. I'm wondering how the head would feel if their number was given out to a parent.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

He/she probably has a phone supplied and paid for by the school.

17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

This information is mostly wrong and OP should not act on it without taking professional advice.

18. Absolutely ridiculous situation ! Of course not !

19. in china where I am teaching now parents and administration expect you to give parents mobile number, e mail, and skype name so that you can be at their beck and call all the time!
    outrageous.

20. No no no!