1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head, deputies and assistant heads

Discussion in 'Governors' started by foxtail3, Jun 30, 2016.

1. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I used to be a staff governor and have a recollection that the deputy head, who attended FGBs did not have voting rights. Is this accurate?

I ask because the governing body of the school at which I am a co- opted governor has a rather contentious issue at present and there are five staff governors, including the head, two assistant heads, a teacher governor and a member of the admin staff.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

That's an awful lot of staff governors! Especially with 3 of them from SLT.

Are you an academy or LA school?

In LA schools if your GB includes 5 staff governor positions then they all have a vote the same as any other governor (subject to the personal pecuniary interest and conflicts of interest rules).

If senior staff attend meetings at the invitation of the GB, to give advice, present reports etc, then they are there as 'Observers' not as members of the governing body and don't have a vote. They don't have right to do anything if there as an Observer, only what the GB allows/invites them to do.

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Yes, I thought it was rather a lot. I need to clarify that they are all appointed staff governors and not simply observers. I haven't been a governor for long and that was the status quo when I arrived. The issue is that the SLT and other staff governors will always vote together and that leaves fewer governors who may or may not have a different viewpoint.

The school is LA.

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Sorry, I should have thanked you for the response @Rott Weiler.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I should have mentioned there's also the Associate Member category that SLT sometimes are appointed to, but that gets complicated.

What you describe is exactly why I don't think you should have so many staff governors - they can all vote as a bloc to support the head.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

This is precisely what is going to happen. It's not a vital issue, but all of the remainder of the governing body are relatively new governors and this is the first occasion that we have found ourselves in opposition to the head and SLT, so it is also a matter of principle.

I feel and so do others, that if we are steamrollered over on this matter, it will set a precedent for the future and we will become, as a governing body, merely a talking shop and will be expected to endorse the head's views on every matter. That is not why I applied to become a governor, nor do I think that it in any way reflects the 'critical friend' status of governors.

There have been a couple of other issues which lead me to believe that the governing body, in this composition, is not able to act as it should and I need to make a decision about whether I wish to be part of what feels like a toothless organisation.

7. R13

R13 New commenter

We invite our Deputy and Assistant Heads to be Associate Governors and appreciate the contribution they can make and information they can share. They do NOT however have any voting rights at all. That is for full Governors only