1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head changing data

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thefairyteacher, Mar 19, 2017.

1. thefairyteacher

thefairyteacher New commenter

Hi, My new head asked us to hand in data for pupils on where they're at for March. I've looked back at it and she has changed it so pupils I had not put as Age Related by the end of the year, now are. Unfortunately I didn't save a copy so have no way of proving this. Do they have a right to do this? I'm furious and deeply upset that she's done this behind our backs. Can I do anything? Any thoughts much appreciated.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'd get the Police involved if I were you ....clear case of fraud.

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

are there any records that you could draw on? Did you just give a hand-written list that is now conveniently lost or was any electronic entry or email by you?

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

"Oh, dear. A good thing I noticed it but whoever did the data entry on this group made some pretty serious mistakes! Must have been a glitch in the system or something. I've got the accurate figures here. Phew. What a relief! What if we'd not noticed in time. Never mind. No harm done. Do you want me to do it? I'm sure you're too busy and it doesn't look as if we can quite rely on anyone else."

ldnsenco, needabreak, bevdex and 7 others like this.
  5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

you remind me of my young innocent self, who really wanted and cared that school data was accurate and truthful.

now I've grown up, I realise most of it is faked, most of the time, and don't waste any head space caring about it

ldnsenco, lanokia, keyboard2 and 10 others like this.
  6. thefairyteacher

thefairyteacher New commenter

Wow - are some of you really take the P ....? I'm genuinely upset by this yet you ridicule me. I know not to bother posting again to ask for help. Genuinely shocked and disgusted by some of your comments, Some pupils really don't stand a chance with teachers like you! Thank you to those who offered a sincere reply but I won't be on here again.

7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Whether this really matters or not depends on whether or not your pupils all need to hit the end of year predictions for you to enjoy a successful performance review.

I would ask them about it, clear the matter up.

There is no fraud, as these are just end of year forecasts. The HT could just say they were adjusting the predictions. ('moderating'...)

Would only be serious issue if it was part of statutory assessment and teacher assessments were being tampered with. That is malpractice; same as tampering with test papers.

If they are inflating data, they will only end up shooting themselves in the foot when SATs/GCSEs come around.

tonymars and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

OK, I'm going to be a bit provocative here - as a retired teacher (and in secondary, at that) - I may be a bit out of touch, but what is the matter with a HT changing your data? I may be wrong, but isn't the data (like the KS3 levels I used to have to hand in) just your opinion - your professional opinion, of course - but just an opinion, nevertheless?

And maybe, just maybe, your HT thinks your levels are wrong, and so wants to change them to make them more accurate...or more challenging etc.? That's his right, surely?

nomad, Jesmond12, brighton56 and 2 others like this.
  9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Hmmm .... how can you not have a copy of your data? Odd ODD?

I saw some help posted here and some cynicism from people who have been in teaching a darn sight longer than you have.

At least you know how to flounce !

10. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Was just constructing a flounce comment. You beat me to it. :D

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Love it gdw. [​IMG]Not sure it would work these days though?

needabreak and peggylu like this.
  12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

A Head at a local school was removed from post because the data provided in discussions with the school improvement partners ( the LA representatives who "supported " the school on a regular basis) were discovered to be so far from reality as to be a work of fiction! Although the data was interim, and therefore was not reported nationally in any respect, the Head was still considered to be acting unprofessionally.

palmtree100, peggylu and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. mollyhog

mollyhog Occasional commenter

Genuinely shocked and disgusted by some of your comments, Some pupils really don't stand a chance with teachers like you! Thank you to those who offered a sincere reply but I won't be on here again.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you OP. I hate this sort of thing because it undermines the professionalism of the teacher and the knock-on effect is a pain in the backside to sort out. GDW's reply is the best thing to do - make sure they know that you've noticed it and that you have the original data.

14. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I think grumpy dog woman's suggestion is what I'd go for, maybe worded slightly differently

Frank Wolley - I'm sure you're right, the head probably does have he right to change the data (if it's not official stuff). But why should he/she? Does he know the children better than I do? Has he spent time looking at the children's work/tests before deciding on a level, If it happened to me, I'd be inclined to suggest the head should just do the data for my class themself next time, as they clearly know better than I do!

As for not having a copy of the original data - I wouldn't either. It's an online system, I sit with it in front of me and type in levels for each child. I don't keep a printed copy or a separate list (why would I duplicate data?) therefore, I'd know when I logged in if some pupils were significantly different to before, but I wouldn't have any proof they been changed, nor a completely accurate picture of exactly who had been changed.

OP, i can see why you're ****** off. I would honestly suggest an email along the lines of GDW, slightly blaming yourself or suggesting a technical problem, and offering to change the data back so it's accurate. Maybe even sign off with, "unless I hear otherwise, I'll do this over the weekend". That then leaves it for them to come back and say "no, leave it alone, we doctored the data to make it look better" - unlikely I'd think...

15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Except the OP doesn't. For some very odd reason, they don't have data for their own class.
    A key skill in teaching these days. Even I made the effort to perfect this new fangled skill. :)

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My response is a "diplomatic" preface to having to go further. How you do that I do not know.

OK, in SEN and in Primary you'd look askance at the teacher assessments some of the time. Inflated. But it never really mattered too much.

But I can see why it's an issue for YR7 and above. You get an allegedly bright cohort and it turns out they are not.

The HT needs to know that you know. Try to convey that you know what's going on without making an accusation. Hope that's enough.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I'd say inflated data is a big issue in primary too. Especially if you teach 2 or 6 and you pick up a class with inaccurate assessments from prior in the key stage. Plus, inflated data from KS1 then has a negative impact on the whole school's progress accountability.

18. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Is this data used, in any way, for PM purposes? If it is then one could argue that PM targets are being unfairly measured against incorrect data.
    Just a thought.

I'd do something along the lines of gdw's suggestion if I were in the same boat.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

It's not right.

But...

If the data was used to set my PM targets for the end of the year, I'd be all over it.

If it isn't, I'd leave it. It won't affect the children and if the data is found to be inaccurate, it's the head who will take the flak for it.

I think I'd mention it diplomatically and keep my own record of the data I originally handed in. Just in case.

20. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I don't think anyone is taking the p, we just know faked data is a normal every day fact of life and there is absolutely nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

nomad, Jesmond12, peggylu and 2 others like this.