1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head becoming Exec Head

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by ecallaghan, Jun 26, 2019.

1. ecallaghan

ecallaghan New commenter

As a governor of a small infant school we have an opportunity for our Head to become an exec head of our school and a nearby one. She is in Group 1 presently but would move to group 2 with this position. It's potentially only a 1 year role but my urgent questions is - her Level on the point scale - is it the same pay for L14 in Grp1 as it is L14 for Grp2?
    My gut tells me it is but equally it doesn't seem fair to pay someone the same for doing double the work?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There are no national payscales so L14 is whatever your Pay Policy says it means. Is your head on STPCD conditions of employment? If so the Leadership Group pay ranges are on page 11 of the current STPCD. Do you mean that if you aggregated the pupil numbers of the two schools it would put the combined schools in Group 2? Or that the other school is Group 2?

There is considerable overlap between Group 1 and Group 2. If in your Pay Policy you have adopted specific pay points within the Group 1 range - eg L10 - L16 - you now need to set a pay range for a Group 2 school (if that is how you have decided to pay your 'Executive Head', although I do not believe that is the correct approach in this case). Suppose you decided to set the Group 2 pay range as L13 - L19. Because the group pay ranges overlap L14 is in both pay ranges. It will be the same £xx,xxx amount irrespective of which Group. But you could move the head's pay point up to, say, L16 (the mid point of the Group 2 range) in September.

Incidentally the approach you appear to be adopting - aggregating the pupil numbers of the two schools and treating it as a single Group 2 school - is not legal if you are subject to STPCD unless the appointment to be headteacher of both schools is permanent [STPCD para 6.6]. Your post suggests that although it might become permanent in the future it is initially temporary. There is guidance in STPCD on setting the pay for headteachers who temporarily take on responsibility and accountability for another school - STPCD paras 16 - 23 on pages 66 & 67. DfE guidance (page 35 here) is that temporary responsibility for an additional school should be reflected through an allowance rather than consolidated into the pay range. Otherwise if the appointment does turn out to be only temporary and the head returns to being the head of only your school what are you going to do about their pay?

A headteacher responsible and accountable for two schools is not doing "double the work"! If the head spends, say, half their week at the other school who is running your school while the 'Executive Head' is absent from your school site? Governors need to consider who takes on that responsibility and review their pay as well. The STPCD guidance on pages 66 & 67 covers this.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

I fully disagree with the comment that the head isn't doing double the work. Having worked with an exec head, they need to know every little thing that happens in both schools, drop everything to deal with whatever's happening in one (or both) in an emergency, report to two sets of governors, deal with 2 sets of parents, etc etc.

They certainly need a significant payrise and a lot of moral support.

4. Rott Weiler

We will have to fully disagree then. I have a lot of experience of this scenario (as a National Leader of Governance) and I have never come across a head whose hours of work doubled when they took on a second school. It would be a serious failure to delegate if that happened. You've been a head haven't you? Do you know any heads whose working hours doubled in this scenario? They ended up working 130 - 140 hours a week?

What would you think is a suitable payrise if their workload is doubled? Double the pay?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Pomza likes this.
  5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

It's the deputy/assistant heads of both schools who will find their workload increases, not just the Head!!

6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

The hours don’t necessarily double but the responsibility is there for two schools. So the wider responsibility should be recognised. However, this is often only two points or so on the pay scale. The skill of managing and delegating is more. Yes, the roles of the next person down are crucial. Sometimes they are the ones doing all the day to day management.

strawbs, sooooexcited and Rott Weiler like this.
  7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Why?

What are the rest of SLT doing?

8. sooooexcited

Because they are accountable for every little thing.

9. Rott Weiler

A head who thinks that because they are accountable for the overall management and performance of the school they have to know "every little thing that happens" is a head on course for burnout and a nervous breakdown.

I've worked with control freaks like that, who cannot delegate effectively, and it did not make for a successful school.

10. sooooexcited

It's not about having to control everything, it's about being accountable for it all no matter what.
    I only speak from the point of view of schools who need an exec head due to serious problems, not those where both schools are ok.