1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Head accuses parent of defamation after she posted daughter's homework on Facebook

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Oct 25, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A good example of how not to address a parent's concerns! :rolleyes:

A primary school headteacher has accused a parent of defamation after she shared a photo of her daughter’s incoherent homework sheet on Facebook. Danielle Rowland, a parent at Moorgate Primary Academy in Tamworth posted the photo of a crossword strewn with grammatical and spelling errors which had been handed to her seven-year-old daughter with the caption “For literacy homework, the mistakes are shocking." Headmaster Jonathan Williams confronted Ms Rowland on the phone and told her the post was defamatory towards the school and that it breached data protection guidelines.

The crossword instructions said: “Complete the crossword by interesting one of the words below into the sentences.” The crossword itself was hard to decipher as the only place where ‘on the contrary’ would fit was in a sentence that contained no contradictions.

[​IMG]

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

And the head apparently said to the Telegraph:

“... the school shall continue to support learning at home.” :(

colpee likes this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Mistakes are easily made. But not so many in one go. #win

esther30, colpee and nomad like this.
  4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

My boys used to get homework like this. I'd never have dared publish it, but I really wish I had! You have to wonder at the school that accuses the parent of misconduct rather than hanging its head in shame.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The head's knowledge of the law on defamation and data protection is as shaky as his grammar! The parent's post doesn't breach either of those laws. Now if he'd claimed it breached the school's copyright.....:)

6. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I tell my kids that part of the homework is correcting my mistakes in red pen.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It's all about protecting the brand these days, who cares about education?

8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This does worry me more and more with regards to standards. What is so bad with admitting this was careless and not good enough? Take it on the chin and do something about it.

It seems to me we do have a new breed of so called professional these days, the person who (rather like a child) cannot bear the thought of losing face or being embarrassed, so they scream and rant (rather like a child) until you (rather like an adult) give in and cannot be bothered anymore.

The real concern for everyone is so many of these people, as here, are in quite influential positions of authority.

9. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I think copyright would be shaky ground too, because there's an exemption for review or comment - can't recall the details.

nomad likes this.
  10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I think every new teacher should be given a copy of "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" before they're let loose in schools.

Laphroig, colpee, sabrinakat and 4 others like this.
  11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes, I think that's right. I don't remember the details either. I don't believe the head has any idea what he's talking about on any grounds!

colpee and nomad like this.
  12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I think "interesting" instead of "inserting" looks like a predictive text error. Not excusing it, because it should have been proof-read; but it does look more like carelessness than ignorance.

anotherauntsally and agathamorse like this.
  13. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Puts me in mind of the Eng Lit Year 11 revision "aid" for the poetry anthology, sent by a (faith school the significance of that in a mo!)
    Tennyson's 'The Charge of the Light Brigade' .....amongst the help was 'into the valley of Death rode the 600' apparently this was a reference to The Lord's Prayer !

I am not making that up!

agathamorse likes this.
  14. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I think most members of SLT have seen it, but not understood that it is a book about grammar and punctuation, not about how they should treat their staff.

15. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

The kind of homework that was prepared in a rush by an overworked teacher with insufficient time.

The kind of homework which is unnecessary for the children (and the teacher) but which is given so as not to fall foul of the school's homework policy.

forthejoyofit, nomad and lala24 like this.
  16. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

If this was a downloaded resource from TES I would not be surprised. I reviewed a few resources relating to computing and found one where WiFi and Bluetooth were referred to as brands and a diagram showed TV coax cable as an ethernet cable option ( the other was optical fibre ). The pros and cons of the options also showed little understanding of how networks operate or how to optimise them.

nomad likes this.
  17. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Not unusual if my experience is anything to go by. Unchecked worksheets with grammar and formatting mistakes, sometimes with bits missing came home from primary school on numerous occasions. I gotbthe impression that many of them had simply never been read before stuffing them in childrens folders. I frequently felt like marking them:cool:

The homework from secondary seems better proof-read, but not school communications or policy documents which are littered with howlers, despite having a large admin staff and more deputies or assistant this and thats than you could shake a hairy stick at.

neddyfonk and agathamorse like this.
  18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Having spent many years as a visiting examiner for music performance, I have sometimes seen some really crass worksheets left in music classrooms. Occasional real howlers, but more often a degree of ambiguity which can only be confusing for learners.

While textbooks are seldom perfect, they do usually have the advantage of being checked by experienced editors and of being sent out for peer review before being published.

colpee and nomad like this.
  19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

My school instigated a rule that all letters to parents had to be looked at by a member of SMT before they went out in case of grammar and spelling errors.

The result - everything got worse, which is odd really as they knew better about everything :rolleyes:

Mermaid7, colpee, peter12171 and 3 others like this.
  20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I worked for a fantastic head once, who never could sort out possessive apostrophes. And the Governing Body seemed to think their whole raison d'etre was to proof read the documents he produced. Which made meetings incredibly tedious and boring, but at least the only contentious issues were whether the word 'children' should be replaced with 'pupils', and would those two sentences be better joined by a semi-colon!!

neddyfonk likes this.