1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

He said, she said...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by xena-warrior, Feb 25, 2016.

1. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

"Mr Blackburn said that neither Dame Janet's report into Savile, nor the BBC, made any suggestion he was guilty of misconduct with the girl, nor did a coroner's inquest or a subsequent police inquiry.

He says that, during her review, Dame Janet saw BBC records allegedly showing he was interviewed about the girl's diary by a senior BBC executive, Bill Cotton, and by a senior lawyer.

The DJ says he repeatedly told the review that he was never interviewed by either man.

He said in a statement: "They are destroying my career and reputation because my version of events does not tally with theirs."

"Sadly what is happening to me now seems entirely in keeping with the past BBC culture of whitewash and cover-up."

I wouldn't describe myself as Mr Blackburn's greatest fan, but the news of his sacking simply because he will not confirm that this interview ever took place - given that BBC bosses must be turning cartwheels trying to look thorough and stringent - seems jolly unfair to me. I'd like to know who the "senior lawyer" was and what the records actually consist of.

Edit: we are actually still allowed to discuss things in the news, yes?

2. TheRomanReturn

TheRomanReturn New commenter

Edit: we are actually still allowed to discuss things in the news, yes?

At your peril. Just make sure it agrees with the status quo and you'll be fine.

lexus300 and Vladimir like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Yes.

'Innocent until proven guilty'? Apparently not.

4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

The whole situation stinks and I suspect the whole situation won't ever be as open as it ought to be.

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Covering up seems to be the way to go for large Corporations and Politics.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It looks suspiciously like the BBC - having turned the blindest of all blind eyes to quite appalling behaviour by some of its (cough) "talent" - is now attempting to make up for it by sacking anyone on its staff who worked in the same building at the same time as the vile Savile.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I think he's threatening to sue them. I hope he does.

And if he wins perhaps Clarkson would want to help them out with the costs?

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I listened to the World at One today, when an executive was being questioned. It did not make for happy listening.

9. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

All those bosses on today who claimed not to know about Jimmy Savile. Yeah right!
    So how come it was common knowledge by St Jimmy's hospital nurses that he was a dirty old groper, albeit of adult nurses. I knew he was a creep in my early teens as my mum told me he had wandering hands with nurses.