1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

He has man flu!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by charlotte.johnson06, Dec 29, 2010.

1. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

My OH has been in bed all evening coughing, sneezing, spluttering.. so I have just left him to it!
    He's not going to work tomorrow either as he is that bad. He will be in my way all day now.. [​IMG]

2. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

keep promising to bring him treats and leave it an hour or two between offer and delivery, and get it wrong, he will soon regain mobility

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

[​IMG]

I bought mine from Sainsbury's in the same section as the pharmacy!

4. Mine is on day 3 of his flu. It's the sighing and feeling sorry for himself that's starting to annoy me. I get it, he's ill. It's already ruined my birthday, please don't ruin another nights' sleep for me (no spare bed, tried the sofa - it's too short).
    I was ill before him, but I still went to his family for Christmas and Boxing Days, drove to the supermarket to buy food on the 27th, and my wallowing amounted to 2 days on the sofa under a duvet either sleeping or watching DVDs. I felt terrible too but after 3 1/2 days I felt okay. Whereas he still feels terrible and weak and everything is a struggle and he's going to feel terrible forever.

5. So glad I'm not the only one sparkly-duck! Hope yours is better for New Year's Eve mine is showing signs of recovery! He's gone to work anyway x

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Absolutely the worst thing about Man Flu is the way the patient summons up the energy to follow you from room to room, loudly blowing his conk, sniffing, snorting and coughing up greenies, in between long sighs and moans of , "I feel so ILL, what can I take? Have we got any McCaulay's Linctus (substitute own brand from man's childhood) - it's what my mother always gave me...."

7. I came to the conclusion that mine was so... ill because he wasn't brought up by a teacher like I was. I was only allowed time off school if I was either a) highly contagious, b) unable to walk or c) dead, so wasn't encouraged to malinger. Then I spoke to his sister who said that their mum had the same attitude as mine did, so I figured he really was ill! He is now feeling a bit better, and has changed the bedding and hoovered the bedroom "to get rid of the germs".

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Enough to read these articles?

Men may have weaker immune systems than women and suffer disease more seriously and for longer, say scientists at the University of Cambridge, UK. The study, published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences (24 Mar 2010), gives scientific credence to the phenomenon colloquially referred to as 'man flu' and suggests that “Maybe men aren't just playing sick, but really are more susceptible” (The Times, 24 Mar 2010).

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Sorry - I forgot that the Times is now a pay-to-view site.
    Read this instead.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7505207/Man-flu-is-no-myth-as-scientists-prove-men-suffer-more-from-disease.html

10. lurk_much

The Telegraph is written by self regarding hacks for self important fascists to validate the prejudices they were taught by their Blackshirt sympathising nanny back in the thirties. So ManFlu is bound to be serious.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

12. lurk_much

I suppose it is possible that the RS B paper is applicable.
    I have just read it and it seems to be more of a thought experiment in the design of evolutionary models than proof that that the counterintuitive results produced by one of their models actually apply to gender diverse human evolution of immunocompetence
    which I think they acknowledge
    Beyond the specific predictions made above, which may be difficult to
    validate empirically without detailed information on
    the trade-offs involved in any particular species,
    our study highlights the importance of ecological feedbacks on adaptive
    dynamics. In order to make predictions about how
    selective pressures drive the evolution of a system, it is necessary to
    understand
    both the genetic or physiological constraints faced
    by an individual and the impact that any change in life-history traits
    in the population has on the immediate environment

But I am not absolutely sure that is what they are saying here.

It strikes me as unlikely that a probably Oxford arts educated Telegraph Journo is going to grasp the paper much more firmly than I do, I could claim that men (hypothetical male organisms anyway) suffer from reduced efficiency immune systems (according to a possible evolutionary mathmatical model) but I would be very hard pressed to stretch to proof from this paper. It is always possible that one of the references or the digital data is there to substantiate the claim but I didn't see it.