1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HD TVs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by disguise, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Can anyone help me? I am looking at getting a new tv. I know what I do/don't want but I've been looking for about 3 days now, in shops and online and I am now so mushy brained I can't think straight.

Has anyone purchased anything like this recently they'd recommend? Should be between 40 and 42" in size, I need to be able to connect my laptop to it, should be 100hz or more refresh rate and needs to be 1080p full hd. Other than that I am looking for the best tv I can get for no more than £450 but I want more than a year's warranty without paying an arm and a leg. I've been told to stick to Samsung, Panasonic, Sony and Toshiba at a push.

D x

2. Can anyone help me? I am looking at getting a new tv. I know what I do/don't want but I've been looking for about 3 days now, in shops and online and I am now so mushy brained I can't think straight.

Has anyone purchased anything like this recently they'd recommend? Should be between 40 and 42" in size, I need to be able to connect my laptop to it, should be 100hz or more refresh rate and needs to be 1080p full hd. Other than that I am looking for the best tv I can get for no more than £450 but I want more than a year's warranty without paying an arm and a leg. I've been told to stick to Samsung, Panasonic, Sony and Toshiba at a push.

D x

3. I bought an LG in the sales last year (about £400) - so far it's been brilliant (hope I haven't just jinxed it!)
    42", HD, connects to laptop, etc

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

We've just bought a 42" LG. Usually I'm fiercely loyal to Samsung (their customer servuce Ive found second to none) but on this occasion you just seemed to get more with the LG (and the reviews were good)
    It's full HD / 3D and comes with 4 3D glasses. It's 100mz refresh, LED screen and what I did like was that you could record tv to a simple mains powered hard drive.
    Its also a smart TV which means you can browse the web, and it had the best warranty.
    We've just moved down under hence buying new stuff but I'm sure there will be a similar model in the UK. X

5. littlemissraw

Don't know if it helps but our model no is 42LW5700.
    Was about £550ish converted back though x

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Our last tv was an LG and we were very happy with it. Present one is a Samsung because it was on offer.

7. Thanks guys. It's interesting you both mentioned LGs, I always thought they were good too but the guy in comet wanred me off them saying that he gets the most returns from them.

8. Look at stuff in comet and then buy online as it tends to be cheaper. I have a Sony which is cool because it wirelessly chats to my laptop.

9. Yes that's what I'm doing but there are so many variants out there. I started off only wanting a small tv at £250 ish but then saw if you spend a bit more you get a lot more. Perhaps I should get some sleep and start again in the morning.

10. littlemissraw

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I bought a 42" plasma last year, panasonic, from John Lewis, 5 year guarantee. All their tellys have 5 year cover. I think the 1040 HD bit was unnecessary, I can't see any difference when watching HD, Well I can but I have to sit stupidly close. The nerd element still reckon plasma is better than LED or LCD. I just followed their advice.
    It had all the gizmos, none of which I have used, it was £650.

12. Thanks all. I had looked at that Samsung Smart TV but the trouble is that once you add the gurantee price you end up paying a small fortune which I simply can't afford.

13. littlemissraw

How much at M&S or JL? They have 'free' extended guarantees x

14. Sainsuburys doesn't sell it :(. Richer Sounds do a 10% of purchase cost 5 yr warranty but I am not sure it's exactly the same model as they say it's only 50hz refresh rate. John Lewis do it for £529 ish so that's a consideration, although more than I wanted to spend but I guess with the 5 yr warranty it's a fair price.

15. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I was going to second Lurky's John Lewis recommendation. Not only do they do free extended warranties, as well as no doubt a free home delivery, but they also price match. So get googling and see if you can find the same item cheaper elsewhere! It's really worth it. Has to be another actual high street shop though, as opposed to an internet shop. There's a price match section on their website, with a form to fill in, and they'll get back to you with their decision on whether or not to price match.

16. Ours is a couple of years old now - but still fantastic picture quality (always provokes a good episode of sulking that she wants one from my mum when she visits) is a Samsung. Only annoyance was the power on sound it does by default (think that Intel inside noise but more irritating) that you have to find the option in the menu to obliterate.

17. The JL price match has to be on the same terms though ie, including the warranty. I guess it's worth asking but I doubt they'd match the price if they don't have a 5 yr gurantee

18. My husband buys TVs regularly. He's always updating or buying for friends.
    He always swears by Samsung but has been known to buy Toshiba, he always buys LCD, says that they are far superior to plasma. We usually buy from John Lewis.

19. If that's true, then it's new - the warranty wasn't part of the price match before.
    You do know you can still return goods after the 'official' warranty expires, though, don't you?

20. By the way, I have two 32" LCD TVs, so can't advise, but the Philips is pants and the Sony is great :)