1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HCMC - Legalisation, certification

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by redback, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Hi folks,
    Just thought some people will benefit from my experience over the past few days.

Weeks ago I spoke to a solicitor who was also a notary. To have my 3 docs NOTARISED it would cost me 80 quid.
    I called another solicitor. She explained that I needed CERTIFICATION of my docs. This cost 3 pounds.

I took my CERTIFIED docs to the FCO on Friday. They LEGALISED my docs and took 81 pounds of my earth money. It took 3 hours. The place was packed and hot and sweaty. I got the distinct impression that they would LEGALISE any sheet of paper just to get the money.

A small word of warning. The police check, the single sheet of paper with two blue lines on it. The FCO will NOT LEGALISE a copy. They wil only LEGALISE the original.

At no point has anyone checked whether my docs were real. What is the point of this process? I understand it has to be done, but why? I am easily 150 pounds out of pocket and I dont understand why. Noone even checked that they were my documents.

Red

2. Hi folks,
    Just thought some people will benefit from my experience over the past few days.

Weeks ago I spoke to a solicitor who was also a notary. To have my 3 docs NOTARISED it would cost me 80 quid.
    I called another solicitor. She explained that I needed CERTIFICATION of my docs. This cost 3 pounds.

I took my CERTIFIED docs to the FCO on Friday. They LEGALISED my docs and took 81 pounds of my earth money. It took 3 hours. The place was packed and hot and sweaty. I got the distinct impression that they would LEGALISE any sheet of paper just to get the money.

A small word of warning. The police check, the single sheet of paper with two blue lines on it. The FCO will NOT LEGALISE a copy. They wil only LEGALISE the original.

At no point has anyone checked whether my docs were real. What is the point of this process? I understand it has to be done, but why? I am easily 150 pounds out of pocket and I dont understand why. Noone even checked that they were my documents.

Red

3. PuRe

PuRe New commenter

Hi redback long time, your solicitor should have checked the originals against your copy before signing. The only thing FCO does is check the solicitor.

One thing I realised is that a lot of people are having them notarised rather than certified which is a huge cost difference, but yet the same thing is done to them.... interesting!

PuRe

4. kitfo

kitfo New commenter

My new establishment said I have to have the N.P. write the following...
    ? I (name of solicitor) Notary Public of (address) do solemnly and sincerely declare that this document is an authentic document. And I note this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the provisions of the Statutory Declaration Act 1830. Declared by the above named.? Solicitor must sign, date and stamp the declaration.

Is this what you had done when they notarised them or can anybody say if this is the same as certification?

At least you have got the damned things done, Red! But I agree, what a seemingly pointless and expensive exercise. Thanks for the info though.

5. Hi Kitfo,
    I dont remember getting any instructions as specific as yours. I may read it all again.

I have just sent off scans of all of my docs to BIS. If they are not happy I assume they will tell me.

There is no legal difference between the NOTARISATION and CERTIFICATION. It is a solicitor saying these are true copies of original documents. The notary does not call the police force, my university or the GTC to check anything. So why are countries like Vietnam so picky?

Heat exhaustion is now dsriving me to the pub!!!!

Red

6. kitfo

kitfo New commenter

I may have to join you - in spirit at least. Enjoy

7. If anyone needs to do it in East London I can reccomend (sp?) Raj Dhillon on Cameron Rd, Ilford, He did ours at a great price, much better than what the others were charging... Did you get yours done on one day? I will be heading up there on Thurs to pick ours up from the FCO... joy!!

8. Hi folks,
    kitfo was absolutely right. The wording of the certification by a solicitor has to be very specific.

I have been informed that the certification which I obtained is not acceptable. My solicitor wrote the words "True copy of the original". This is not acceptable. My solicitor has to write "I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of this document" to make it acceptable to the visa authorities in Vietnam.

Absolutely ludicrous but I need to go back to my solicitor who will no doubt charge me more money.

Red (off to pub again)

9. kitfo

kitfo New commenter

Red, I?m very sorry to hear this but thanks for letting us know all the same. I?ll be very careful with mine. Owe you a beer when we get to HCM.
    K

10. Hi kitfo,
    It will be a hoot to have hcmc contributors actually meeting each other. I will happily take you up on that beer and a game of pool while chewing on deep fried gnats giblets.

Red

11. Gosh, how confusing. I have also been told that 'true copy of the original' is not sufficient, but I've been told I need different wording to Kitfo - surely our work permits are coming from the same people??!

Also, the originals have to be certified by the solicitor, not just copies of them.

Surely it should not have to be so very hard to get this right?!

Thanks for the East London recommendation - might be worth the journey after the quotes I've managed to get round here x

12. Please don't presume that getting things done in Vietnam is the same as in the UK! One would presume that the same people issue the work permits however in Vietnam people seem to be able to ask for whatever they like and the rules change on a daily basis!

Last year I had to go through all this. My papers had the wrong wording and were refused. The British Consulate in HCMC cant verify any documents as I'm told the Vietnamese powers that be dont like their stamp! Thats how silly it all is. My Headteacher was going crazy with all the rule changes etc that went on during the year. It almost seemed that they were simply trying to stop the British gaining work permits- other nationalities didnt seem to have this hassle apart from the Americans.

So good luck to you all!

13. I have decided that what I have got is what they are going to get. If it is not right, I still have my business visa in the meantime, and then other people can sort it out. The toys have officially left the pram.

14. Having picked myself off the floor having tripped over your toys...I fully agree! look there go my marbles....

15. kitfo

kitfo New commenter

Remember guys, it's not a requirement for entry to VN, we've got about 6 months to sort this out (according to my info), it's just that it, the paperwork, has to be done in the UK. But if you have visitors coming....

For camaraderie's sake I'm tipping my cutlery drawer out on the floor tho'

16. I'm sure it can be done by post if it comes to that anyway. I've done a lot of it that way already, but 'm tired of the brain ache of it all. Anyhow, I've only got three weeks to go and we're all prepped. Our stuff has been sent and we'll be looking for a house during the first week of July. We're then going back to our home and pop across to Laos for a fortnight. We're all like cats on a hot tin roof in my household at the moment! Extermtly looking forward to it!

17. Hello everyone

Sorry to resurrect this extremely frustrating subject, but I just wondered if anyone has managed to complete the process to the schools' satisfaction and would like to share their wisdom?!

This is what I have been told:
    Get photocopy of PGCE cert notarised (I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of this document) then take to FCO for legalisation.
    Take Police Check letter straight to FCO, it does not need notarising first.
    Have NOT been told to go to Vietnamese consulate.

Does anyone know that any of this is incorrect? If so please tell me now before I spend money!!

Hope everyone's enjoying getting excited. I'm quite frightened by how little time there is to go and how much there is to do, but soooo excited too.

Enjoy!

18. Hi miss-fit,
    My docs are all sorted now. My school is happy.

What you say looks ok. I would add:

You need to get a copy of your degree and PGCE CERTIFIED not notarised. Certified, a few pounds, notarised about 80 quid. The certification is performed by a solicitor. The wording is crucial. The standard stamp from the solicitor wont be acceptable. I was told it needed to say "I have no doubt..." by my school. Check with your school as others have said their school wanted something different.

You are right about the police check.

Take police check, certified PGCE and certified degree certificate to FCO for legalisation, hand over 81 pounds and all is well.

Red

Red

19. I just handed all my docs over to the school and they did it all for me!

20. Sorry I am not going to HCMC. But still the school made this process very easy. If only all schools did the same.