1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HCFE Special Educational Needs Diploma

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by rae72, May 8, 2011.

1. rae72

rae72 New commenter

Hi
    Could anyone advise me whether the HCFE Special Educational Needs Diploma is a good qualification to have. I am abit worried that I would be wasting my money on this course. I am a fully qualified Teaching Assistant at NVQ3 level, but would like to go into more SEN.

Thanks Raechel

2. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

Hi I haven't heard of this diploma but that's not to say it's not worth doing. I have completed an Open university course on inclusive education and whilst it would not necessarily help me gain employment what it did do was to strenghen knowledge and skills in the job I do already whilst aslo helping me to reflect on the work and children I engage with. (I have been a TA for 18 years)
    Over the years I have gained specific skills in SEN work but this has generally been acquired through working with children with specific impairments and working with professional outreach teachers/ speach and language therapist/ occupational therapist etc in the course of my work. In addition, I have taken the opportunity of going on Local authority run courses.

Are you actually employed as a TA? if so perhaps there is some kind of SEN work you could ask about. if not perhaps could you volunteer in a SEN school for a short period. It is by observing others and discussing issues with them that you would gain a valuable insight into the role of SEN TA.

I would say that if your intention to do the course (and pay for it) is for the sole purpose of gaining employement I would perhaps think hard about spending money in that way. If howver, it is to enable you to gain a better understanding/theory etc then it would be worthwhile.
    I would ask around in your local area to see if schools /LA recognise the course and whether anyone would be employed on the basis of having it. In most cases schools are generally looking for someone with experience, confidence and good social skills towards children and that you could possibly gain employment with the qualification that you already have.
    Just my opinion[​IMG]

3. rae72

rae72 New commenter

Thank you.

4. Thank you Bluebell for your fantastic,positive and encouraging comment,you obviously love your job as much as I do.By the way which course did you do as I was thinking of doing an open university course myself.