1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hayfever abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MattyS10, Jun 13, 2017.

1. MattyS10

MattyS10 New commenter

I can get bad hayfever in parts of the UK due to birch and mainly grass pollen (mainly May-July)

Does anyone have an idea of whether grass pollen (or any pollen for that matter) affects you the same abroad?

Any replies with regard to BEIJING and DOHA are most welcomed.

I know Beijing has a pollen/allergy forecast and I'm wondering if the pollen would have the same effect on me in more rural parts of the UK.

Many thanks

2. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

There is no grass in Beijing!

3. 576

576 Established commenter

I don't know much but a Canadian I used to work with in Africa did get hayfever there.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

For me it's been very different in different countries. Kuwait was very hard at certain parts of the year, but Doha was relatively easy. I never spent enough time in Beijing to know for sure, but my short stay had no issues.
    It'll depend a lot on what you're allergic too. And there's the possibility of being allergic to things that you weren't exposed to at home...

5. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

I get hayfever normally (in Shanghai though) and haven't found it too bad compared to when I was in the UK- occasional sneezes but that is all. I would think that Beijing is probably similar.

6. tesquestion2016

tesquestion2016 New commenter

I never get hayfever in Shanghai. I do get a pollution cough and stinging eyes in winter

7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Have become allergic to the pollen from the plane trees in the French Concession in Shanghai - it took a few years to be sensitised to them. I was fine when I first got here. There are also a lot of rape seed oil fields, which mess me up as well.

All depends what you are allergic to - the pollution produces irritation as well, which you will certainly have in Beijing.

As someone else said - it all depends on you and you may find you are better than at home, you may find other triggers.