1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having two kindles

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparkleghirl, Jul 17, 2015.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I've become so dependent on my kindle that I can't imagine being without it. This is actually my second one; the first was stolen some time back and I was lost until I managed to get it replaced. So now I'm thinking of buying another as a kind of back-up.

What's the best way to manage this? Can I simply register the second one to my existing kindle account and, if so, will all existing content automatically be available on the second kindle aswell as the first?

Thanks for any tips

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My husband and I have two kindles on one account. Every book that has been bought is delivered to one or the other but can just be picked up from the cloud on either. It means that we can both read the same book at the same time.

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

When I got my Paperwhite, it was registered as 2nd Kindle and when I buy books, they are downloaded to 2nd Kindle, unless I change the setting.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo Sparklgirl.

I have, ahem, six Kindles. [​IMG]

No 1 was - still is - a Kindle DX. This is A4 size, it was the first one available in the UK. As soon as the smaller size came in, I bought one of those too. That was No. 2

I started with the third one after a panic attack when No. 2 suddenly misfunctioned. It only lasted 30 minutes, but I was on a plane and the thought of being kindleless for a month . . .

And then I decided I needed a permanent spare in our flat in Spain, and then the Paperwhite came out with the built-in light . . . and so it went on.

So I have kindles and spares.

Yes, as others say. If you buy it from your Amazon account it will come already registered to that account, and as soon as you get it you can download onto it anything you have already bought. All of it, or just selected books.

If you have one at home and one at your Mum's, say, then if you have the wireless turned on as you stop reading on one, the Kindle-in-the-sky notes which page you stopped reading. Then if you open the same book on your other kindle, and turn on the wireless, it asks you if you want to go to the furthest page read on t'other.

Nifty, eh?

Of course you turn off the wireless when you have got the page, 'cos reading with kindle on all the time uses the battery faster.

If you subscribe to a newspaper, it downloads as soon as you turn on the wireless in the morning, and then you turn the wireless off. If you then turn on the wireless on the other kindle, you can search In The Cloud and download the same edition to the other kindle, for someone else to read.

Hope this is helpful. Kindle For Ever!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

5. sparkleghirl

Thank you all for the comments!

I confess I have also considered buying a different kind of e.reader so that I can also buy books from other bookshops in other formats and then, if necessary, Calibre them to share them from once device to another. But amazon is just so easy....

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not possible.

Books that you buy are protected with DRM and cannot be changed using calibre software. You can see this by loading an Amazon book into calibre and then trying to change its format to EPUB. Not poss.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

7. sparkleghirl

Ah, there are ways, I believe.....

8. tidal

tidal New commenter

calibre ain't the only option Theo [​IMG]

Not that I would anything like that of course........ [​IMG]

9. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Having more than on kindle is easy, as the above post have said.

I have however had to stop buying them, huge argument with amazon due to the kindle fire. There are several well know charge issues due to poor quality. They are refusing to send a replacement for my...well replacement as it no longer charges and want me to pay £100!

CS still has her original kindle, and I have my paperwhite, but the step into a tablet for me is just a step too far.

10. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

oh and theo, I am yet to 'buy' a book for my kindle...there are ways around it....I blame Tidal....

11. tidal

tidal New commenter

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

*coughs*

Not on a public website, elfie . . .

Best wishes

13. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Just pay for the damn books. Kindle books aren't expensive. They don't just spring out of the ether - this is some poor bu££ers livelihood.

14. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

For me it's not about not wanting to pay for them, it's about being able to use the book I've paid for on whatever device and in whatever format I choose.

I once bought and paid for a book on another site because I couldn't find it on amazon. Then I found I couldn't download it without installing some Adobe programme which I couldn't install on my Linux system. So I downloaded the same book, free, from a pirate site.

I still pay for my books, but once I've paid for them I won't feel guilty about converting them and stripping the DRM so that I can use them on other devices.

15. tidal

tidal New commenter

I'm sure Elfie meant my publicly posted (and still extant) liking for free Public Domain books [​IMG]

16. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I have an old Kindle Touch (which still works) and was considering buying another Kindle (and I still might). Instead I bought a 'cheap' Aldi tablet (£80) and downloaded the Kindle app onto it. When I buy a new book (I usually only get them when they are on free offer) it seems go automatically to both devices. I can access older ones on my tablet from the cloud. Works for me!

17. tidal

tidal New commenter

DRM is just the modern replacement for the statement at the beginning of most paper books which said

"This book is sold subject to the condition that it shall not, by way of trade or otherwise be lent, re-sold, hired out or otherwise circulated without the publishers prior consent in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is published and without a similar condition including this condition being imposed on the subsequent purchaser"
    and commonly

"this books is sold subject to the standard conditions of sale of Net Books and may not be re-sold in the UK below the net price fixed by the publishers of this book"

Both of which being regularly breached by everyone from charity shops to jumble sales

18. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Absolutely possible. There is a perfectly legal and freely available plugin for Calibre that removes DRM.

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Freely available, yes.

But legal?

This is what the calibre docs say:

Ebooks can be converted from a number of formats into whatever format your ebook reader prefers. Many ebooks available for purchase will be protected by Digital Rights Management1 (DRM) technology. calibre will not convert these ebooks. It is easy to remove the DRM from many formats, but as this may be illegal, you will have to find tools to liberate your books yourself and then use calibre to convert them.

In other words, calibre does not contain a DRM remover because it is illegal in many countries.

In the UK, for instance, I understand, as it breaches the license agreement when you buy a book in digital format. I wouldn't like to challenge this in the High Court, Colpee, I'll leave you to do that.

[​IMG]

Best wishes

20. sparkleghirl

If I pay for a digital book I believe that I have the moral right to read it on whichever device I choose, whatever my legal rights may be. If buying books legally prevents me from doing that, I will settle for pirate sites where the DRM isn't an issue.

Pirate sites are sometimes preferred because they are easier, not beacuse they are cheaper (or free).