1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Having trouble getting shortlisted for DHT jobs

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Neklesa, May 1, 2011.

1. I originally started to apply for DHT jobs 2 years ago, and could get shortlisted in schools near to where I work. I stopped looking as we had our first child, and now we are wanting to move from London to the NW. But now I can't get shortlisted. Is it because I am not known in those areas, or is it because I haven't given reasons why I am looking to relocate?

My letters follow the PS for each job, and I certainly have the experience so not 100% sure why I can't get my foot in the door. Anyone got any pointers, or are there any DHT or HT out there who would be willing to look at one of my letters to tell me if i'm going wrong somewhere.

Oh, and yes I am doing executive summaries and no I am not asking for anyones letter, in case anyone is worried.

2. Happy to look at it. Send me your e-mail address.

3. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

Get yourself booked on one of Theo's seminars for leadership!

4. t
    The next one clashes with a prior arrangement that is hard to get out of.

5. It won't let me message you, which is weird!

6. PM me and I'll gladly have a look at your application.

7. ake

ake

The market for senior positions in the NW is extremely competitive at present. Some AHT posts get over 100 applications, DHT posts typically 50-60 and Headships 40+.

Assuming that most applicants have the experience and are writing to the person spec, it's tough getting short-listed. Don't give up and get as much advice and feedback as you can.

8. You are right, it is a very tough market. However, I have an interview next week so I am relieved that my ability to write a letter of application hasn't completely abandoned me.