1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having trouble focusing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Kateray1, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

Hi just looking for support really my husband had a stroke this week he is still in hospital but our of danger now.

I have a few lesson plans to and other stuff, I’m a tutor. I just can’t seem to get on with anything hence procrastinating again on here!

I also missed my own college lesson last night and just don’t feel like getting on with anything.

It’s been such a shock and we are really going struggle with him on sick pay.

I wish something good would happen for a change!

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I don't know what to say!

Except to wish him a speedy recovery and hope he soon gets back to full health. And all the usual about no smoking etc etc. But you know that already.

You poor thing. Download some lessons from TES. There's some really good stuff. You can't knock yourself out doing all that stuff AND worrying about him.

3. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

Thank you. No we don’t smoke discusting habit.

I’ve got a two hour lesson this afternoon then up to the hospital again.

I will check out the lessons on here.

4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

All the best and hope that OH is getting better as quickly as possible. I have a number of friends and relatives who have been through strokes and are doing well. Find as many ways to coast at work that you can and don't feel guilty about it. The job and kids usually manage to look after themselves. Your health in the long term is as important as anything to both you and your school, and your colleagues will understand that. Hope you have spoken to your head or whoever about it.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

In circumstances like yours, 'something good' is a relative concept. In your case today's something good is he's out of danger - you'll need to live one day at a time for a while.

I'm sorry to hear that it's happened at all, but now that you're dealing with it remember that the workplace can and will manage perfectly well without you, while you focus on what's most important - your husband's and your own health. Be sure to look after yourself, because you'll be neither use nor ornament to him if you let yourself go under. Hospitals involve a lot of waiting and staring at corridor walls - take stuff to distract you.

You may find yourself having what I think of as 'the supermarket moment', where you're in a crowded busy public place. Everybody else just seems to be getting on with their lives and their trivial banter and their blather about what's on the telly, and you just want to climb up on a counter and scream "How can you just keep going on like this?! Don't you know what I'm having to deal with?!" You might be surprised how many of them would turn round and say "Yes, we do, we've been where you are now". In short, most people will understand - so don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.