1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having to take 10 extra kids on thu?!?!?1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tangit, Jun 25, 2011.

1. I have been asked - not to cover - but take an extra 10 kids from a class where the teacher is striking on Thu. Basically, his class will be slipt into 3 and shared amonst other classes (there is no upper class size limit in KS2).
    Although his class is not being covered as a whole group, surely the fact that they are beinf distributed amongst the rest of us is still loosely considered as covering. Afterall, covering any duties includes teaching their class (even if it is only 1/3 of them!).
    I have refused to do this but have been told that HR told HT that this is ok. Yeah right!!!
    Any facts on this so I can say to HT that I am NOT taking on these pupilsbut at the same time will not be breaking my contract?

2. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I don't know the answer, but it certainly doesn't seem right to me.

Get in touch with your union?

3. I've tried and they haven't got back to me - I think they must be inundated with queries this week!

4. Your Head should not be asking you to do this. It is effectively the same thing as covering for an absent member of staff. It isn't illegal for him to ask, but the other unions (including NASUWT) are advising Heads not to do this and advising their teacher members not to agree to do it. They will support you if you refuse and the Head decides to be difficult about it.

5. NASUWT advice is this:
    "Where colleague members of TUC-affiliated trade unions are involved in industrial action, NASUWT members should report for work as normal, having advised the headteacher/principal in advance that they will not accept any variation to their contracted duties and/or undertake the timetabled or other responsibilities of those engaged in action. NASUWT Representatives should inform the headteacher/ principal of this on behalf of all NASUWT members."

The full text can be found at: http://www.nasuwt.org.uk/InformationandAdvice/Whenotherunionsstrike/NASUWT_002486

6. Your headteacher should not be asking you to do this. As much as he or she would want to provide continuity for the children, this is the same as asking you to cover for a striking colleague which they are not supposed to do. I would have thought as well that given the NAHT (if your headteacher is in that union) are thinking of taking industrial action regarding pensions, that he or she would want to support the strike as best they could rather than try to get around it.
    In some primary schools I know, only a handful of teachers are on strike but their children have been told to stay at home. HR advice is our authority is that this should not happen. Nor should classes be covered by TAs or anyone who would not nornally cover for that group of pupils on that day.

7. Thanks for the advice all!