1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having to submit planning to headteacher by a deadline...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by chimeric_chihiro, Mar 5, 2016.

1. chimeric_chihiro

chimeric_chihiro New commenter

Hi everyone.
    I have found other forums on this matter but none where someone has actually said what action they took and what happened afterwards.
    My headteacher (and deputy) are demanding that my planning is submitted to them (even if it is unfinished) by Friday and that the finished version is completed by Saturday and emailed to them. My year group is the only year group in the school that has to do this. They have also said to print out all the resources on a Monday for the week so they can be given to year group partners straight away- which is a complete pain.

Quote from my union:
    Members should not submit lesson plans to members of the senior management team or anyone acting on behalf of the senior management team.

Now, this is all very well and good but I know if I approach the head with this it'll go down like a cup of cold sick. I have had other problems at the school and I have already handed in my notice in to leave in July.

I am unsure whether I should put my foot down as I am finding it very stressful, or just put up with it and leave knowing that (at the moment) I will get a good reference from them. I am tempted to wait until I sign a contract with another school with references etc having been completed and then bring this up!

Also seen a suggestion on another forum by @TheoGriff to submit the same planning each week and see if they notice- unfortunately I know they will has they are constantly commenting and making 'helpful' suggestions. All over the weekend I might add meaning I feel compelled to give up more of my time to edit the damn thing!

Any advice would be appreciated :)

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The statement "Members should not submit lesson plans to members of the senior management team or anyone acting on behalf of the senior management team" is one of the union instructions for Action Short of Strike Action so if you follow it you ought to be protected against disciplinary action which could otherwise follow. Your position in practice could be exposed if you are the only person in your academy taking industrial action. What do other staff do?

I note though that you are working out your notice until July anyway so other than giving you a hard time what could your SLT do if you say you are refusing as part of industrial action?

Not sure whether "They have also said to print out all the resources on a Monday for the week so they can be given to year group partners straight away" means or whether it is within ASOSA.

3. jenny_talwarts

jenny_talwarts New commenter

July is a long time away, if you are a pupil being taught by someone whose planning is not good enough. Surely a Headteacher has every right to ask to see a teacher's planning? He is responsible for standards in the school. You have already said on another thread that you have negotiated to leave in July to avoid being put on capability. Do you think the Headteacher should leave you alone to please yourself for the next 6 months because I wouldn't be happy with that if I was a parent. If your planning is good enough, you are not going to be asked for it for ever. If it is good enough and you are still asked to hand it in every week, well maybe then you would have a reason to complain about it.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The HT has a duty to ensure your teaching is up to scratch.

It is up to YOU to plan to ensure that you meet that standard. It is not up to the HT to dictate to you what form that planning takes.

Your teaching must pass muster. If any HT thinks that a perusal of your planning will enable him/her to determine whether or not you are any good in the classroom is a fool.

Landofla, aspen_1, Anonymity and 3 others like this.
  5. jenny_talwarts

I agree it can't be enough on its own. But surely it is part of forming a picture of whether a teacher is up to the job. You can see from planning whether what is planned is appropriate for the ability and progression of pupils, even if it isn't a guarantee that it translates into a decent lesson in the classroom.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Doesn't matter. The only way to know if you're delivering it is to use observations effectively, look at pupil progress and get feedback from pupils, parents and colleagues.

As a teacher the NASUWT (my union) reminds you to 'meet the learning needs of your students'. How you go about this is entirely up to you.

aspen_1 and Anonymity like this.
  7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Exactly, known as professionalism. Follow your unions instructions and get your colleagues to do the same. Teachers are in the mess they are because they kowtow to every whim and wish of the regardless of how it increases workload. Rarely do lessons go to the 'exact plan' anyhow.

If you are an experienced teacher you should be able to teach a lesson without writing it down and evaluating it. OK you might need to provide resources (which is really the only plans I used to do)

Landofla, aspen_1, Anonymity and 3 others like this.
  8. chimeric_chihiro

I have come to realise that if I am that terrible then they would have started it already, regardless of whether I intended to leave or not. The fact that they have also encouraged me to remain in teaching says to me that they don't think I am awful, they just don't think I am right for their school (I agree with this.)
    I also have a more experienced teacher helping me and some of the decisions they pull me up on are hers, not mine!
    I don't mind putting planning on the system at the start of the week so they can keep an eye on what is going on but it's the deadline that I am finding difficult to manage. There is no flexibility there which means I can't do anything on Saturdays until the planning is finished and emailed to them.

9. chimeric_chihiro

I can't go into too much detail about my school but I know my year group is the only year group who this is asked of and my year group partner(s) will not speak out. Again, sorry but I can't mention specifics!

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Are you a troll? I seem to remember previous unhelpful, anti-teacher, posts on threads in this forum in the past. Do we know you under another name?

11. jenny_talwarts

Then if that's the case, tell them that the request is not reasonable and that you have no objection to them seeing your plans, but they will be on the system at the beginninbg of each week like everyone else's. You need to be clear about whether the request is a reasonable one for a Headteacher monitoring someone to make, or whether they are making you jump through hoops for the sake of it. If it's this - then complain to the union.

12. jenny_talwarts

A troll? For pointing out that a Headteacher actually has a job to do and is responsible for standards. Are the only people allowed to post here bleeding heart liberals then? Sorry, I must have mistaken this for a professional forum.

13. Compassman

Rediculous.

Who is the planning for? It is for YOU not the HT.

I used to have a list of what I was doing the following week but just headers but that was mainly because I had to put in a requisition sheet for the technicians in science by the Thursday before but not what I would call planning. That was my business.

Occasionally in schools there is shared planning and that may need slightly more detail. My wife (part time job share in primary) will often do, say, Maths planning for colleagues and her colleagues will do the English. It's worked out between staff rather than anything more concrete that the head has to scrutinise.

14. FrankWolley

Two suggestions (apart from raising it with your Union) -

• Send in what you can by friday; don't send anything over the weekend, and don't respond to any emails. On Monday say you no longer have access to the internet at home. This could wither be due to changes of your provider or a cost cutting measure (you are, after all, leaving your job soon) or
    • As this is stressing you (no doubt making it difficult to sleep etc.), esp. towards the end of the working week as these deadlines approach, go sick several Fridays in a row. You will, no doubt, be well again by Monday. ;)

DrJay, Landofla and Compassman like this.
  15. FrankWolley

You are a troll!

16. jenny_talwarts

17. Compassman

Tell me this. Does having brilliant plans make you an outstanding teacher?

Some of the best lessons I taught were 'off the cuff'.

sueemc, -myrtille-, Landofla and 6 others like this.
  18. chimeric_chihiro

Perhaps! Although this puts other teachers who will be teaching the same lessons on the back foot, but by Friday I usually have at least Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday sorted.
    I can't be that naughty! However tempting a 3 day weekend might be....!

19. chimeric_chihiro

I feel this might be a good way forward, but I might hold fire until I have another post secured as I want to keep them on side until references etc are done.

20. chimeric_chihiro

I am worried about references, or the informal, off the record 'chats' that everyone knows headteachers have over the phone to get information on a candidate. Easier to keep my head on side and supporting me in my 'transition' to my next job. Just finding this planning deadline very stressful!