1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having to re-interview for my job...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by studentfairy, Nov 11, 2019.

1. studentfairy

studentfairy New commenter

I'm on a temporary contract and was hoping I'd be kept on because it would be easier for the school as they wouldn't have to go through the interview process again. Everyone has been really complimentary and seems to like me etc.

But today I was told that I would have to interview again ...

Feeling pretty depressed because I'm a very nervous person and **** at interviews. I was actually only second choice for the job I have now. I have heard of this happening in other schools, but I've also heard that it's actually up to the Head whether they want to formally interview or not. So they are obviously seeing if they can get someone better.

Sigh. Anyone else been in this position?

2. SamGBr

SamGBr New commenter

Yep - reinterviewed as I was on a one year contract in my NQT year and this was for a permanent contract. I got through the interview process and got given another 1 year contract... Accepted it and then got another job the following January and gave the school the two fingers...
    Funny that in February they offered me a permanent contract to say...

All I'd say is go through the interview process. If you don't get it, you'd have wanted to move on anyway. If you do, use the extra year and make it work for you...

3. studentfairy

Argh, why do schools do this? I was always told that teaching is a stable job :(

4. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Does seem a bit daft if you are in post and doing a good job, on the other hand, start looking around to see what is available in your area, there might be something better out there, also if you turn out to be the only or best candidate then be prepared to try and negotiate. There is no reason that this should all be on their terms. teaching is changing, if you are in a strong position then milk it for all you can get out of the school. They clearly won't hesitate to exploit you if they can.

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Well it was. But that was then and this is now. Short term contracts are the norm these days very often, because schools are constantly looking to cut costs.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Your school might have a policy of always advertising externally, some do.

Maybe speak to your NQT mentor and say you were hoping that you could just be made permanent nearer the end of your contract. See what they say.

7. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

You can turn the pressure around and put it on them. You can say that you're disappointed that they feel the need to hold an interview but thank them for letting you know as it means you'll have to start applying for other jobs immediately and hope that their interview is held before you get a job elsewhere as whilst you really want to stay you need to be certain of having a job come (insert date after the end of your temporary contract).

8. studentfairy

Thanks for the replies. Am I right in assuming though that if they wanted me then they could just offer the job without interviewing anyone else?

9. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

Generally there will be a demonstrable selection process. It might be that a school chooses to only advertise internally.

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I went through this process myself quite a few years ago, exactly the same scenario.
    They were not seeing if they could get somebody better or working with an ad hoc decision by the HT, but they were adhering to school policy, which dictated that they had to reemploy because my initial one year contract had ended.
    Your post does not indicate that your role has been advertised. Have you asked about this? And have you asked if there are other interviewees?
    These are pertinent questions, and you might find that both are answered with "no" in which case you can put your mind to rest somewhat.
    I'm not sure why the responses here vilify the school a little when actually they might feel they simply have to follow this procedure.You just don't give enough information in your post either way.
    Find out.

Piranha likes this.
  11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Certainly there is no reason why a school can't do this; I was offered a permanent job without interview during my GTP year. However, some schools either insist on interviewing again or on advertising the post. If that is your school's policy, and it may well not be documented in an obvious place, then they would have to interview you, and it would mean nothing about their view of you. When you say it is up to the Head, it may be that the Head has such a policy, but it may be from the governors.

Rather than worrying about this, it is probably best to prepare yourself for the interview as best you can. Knowing what the truth is about your school's policy won't help you get the job. Good luck.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The other important question is are they advertising the post? Or will you, in effect, be the only applicant? It's quite common for schools to have a policy of interviewing for every post even if it's only a temporary post being made permanent and only the current postholder is being considered.

agathamorse and Piranha like this.
  13. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

In my experience if a school wants to keep a teacher (I'm referring to posts below SLT), then they find a way to do so without wasting time or money on an interview process. The fact that the OP's school hasn't done this is a red light to me (but I hope I'm wrong).

14. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Could be school/ MAT policy and absolutely nothing to do with looking for another NQT who won't need pay progression...perish the thought...

Don't take it personally. Go for the interview (practice makes better if not perfect) but actively look for another job, even if you're successful. They can't complain about a temp teacher looking for a permanent position.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

I was UPS and had a tlr for leading a core subject- all on a temporary contract.
    All of us on a short term contract had to reinterview. All replaced with NQTs :/

16. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

Same thing happened to me. Work hard, get a good reference, get a better job and don't look back

DexterDexter likes this.
  17. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

not necessarily, it depends on the school policy. I have sat on a governing body for a school which has had a policy of interviewing temporary teachers again before making them permanent

18. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

You don't say how long you have been in post, or if the original post was advertised as permanent or temporary. If this was a temporary post and has now become a permanent one, it is standard practice to advertise. This could be externally, or ringfenced to your school.

Having said that, if this interview is this half term for a January start, it would not attract anyone currently in post. For that, resignations would have to be submitted before end of October. If you have a standard teachers contract, unless otherwise stated in your contract, you would have to be kept in post until April. Unless your school has two vacancies, I can't see them employing another person permanently. This may well be just a formality.

19. rematch

rematch New commenter

I'm sorry you're having to reinterview and go through the stress.

A few years ago I was covering a TLR role for mat leave. They decided not to return to the school, so they readvertised the job, but did explain that it was school policy. I didn't mind, and appreciated being told 'we have to' rather than 'we're hoping someone better gets the job'. In the end no one else applied, we had an informal interview where we both laughed at the preposterous situation. I was offered the job on a permanent basis, and complimented for what I had been doing already.

It's annoying, but I got the impression they had to offer the job to anyone in the school in the face of fairness. In the case someone was truly dreadful at their job, they'd hope someone else could apply and take the role. But if they did that, then they have to do it for every single in house role otherwise it's unfair.

If I was in your situation I'd speak to whoever is my line manager and explain I'm worried. Hopefully they reassure you, but if not they could give you some positive, constructive ideas about what they are looking for for the role, and what you might be able to do to improve.

Piranha likes this.