1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having to plan

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sparrow45, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hi, I am relatively new to supply this time around.I have a days work tomorrow, lower juniors and I have been told by the agency that I need to plan for the day.Most of my pre going off and having a family teaching was in early years.I did do quite a bit of daily supply twice before but I am coming back into it now after a break of over 4 yrs.I did a RTT course to enable me to do this.In all the supply I did before there was always planning in place, even if the teacher was off sick there was something there and I always worked alongside the other teachers in that yr .I just find it strange that I have to plan for the whole day, I have always had in the past a bag of ideas you know games, fillers, extension work etc but I am panicing a little in case I get it wrong.I have been pre-booked so surely you would think that the regular teacher has planned.I have looked on the schools website and under the curriculum section I have looked at what they were meant to have covered last term and I was thinking of extending that.I feel quite confident around maths but the literacy/English bit is worrying me.Any tips? Its a yr 3 class.
    I have been collating a portfolio but I guess I haven't been doing enough.This is really stressing me out, I don't want to go in, speak to the other teacher and have her scoff at my ideas.Is this what is happening now in supply? I did cover for a reception teacher who was off sick last term and there were plans, I had problems finding books/resources and the staff were not very helpful but I felt like I was doing a competent job.It's the 1st booking this agency has had with the school and conversely my 1st booking with this agency so I feel doubly under pressure.

2. Hi, I am relatively new to supply this time around.I have a days work tomorrow, lower juniors and I have been told by the agency that I need to plan for the day.Most of my pre going off and having a family teaching was in early years.I did do quite a bit of daily supply twice before but I am coming back into it now after a break of over 4 yrs.I did a RTT course to enable me to do this.In all the supply I did before there was always planning in place, even if the teacher was off sick there was something there and I always worked alongside the other teachers in that yr .I just find it strange that I have to plan for the whole day, I have always had in the past a bag of ideas you know games, fillers, extension work etc but I am panicing a little in case I get it wrong.I have been pre-booked so surely you would think that the regular teacher has planned.I have looked on the schools website and under the curriculum section I have looked at what they were meant to have covered last term and I was thinking of extending that.I feel quite confident around maths but the literacy/English bit is worrying me.Any tips? Its a yr 3 class.
    I have been collating a portfolio but I guess I haven't been doing enough.This is really stressing me out, I don't want to go in, speak to the other teacher and have her scoff at my ideas.Is this what is happening now in supply? I did cover for a reception teacher who was off sick last term and there were plans, I had problems finding books/resources and the staff were not very helpful but I felt like I was doing a competent job.It's the 1st booking this agency has had with the school and conversely my 1st booking with this agency so I feel doubly under pressure.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Stop panicking. The terminology You 'have to plan for the day' <u>does not equate</u> to making a full written plan. It just means, you need to decide for yourself what you're going to do, rather than following lesson plans left by the teacher.
    So for instance,you might take a quick look at their books when you arrive for instance and then decide as they're doing xxxx you could do xxxx, using some of the things in your portfolio. You can't plan ahead for a class of children you've never met and have no idea of their abilities. Even if you did you'd probably have to throw your plans away after the first half hour with them.
    English with year 3 is going to be pretty 'basic' and could arise out of some topic work you're planning to do in the afternoon, or some book you're going to share with them.
    Don't worry, you'll be fine!

4. Thanks Lara that is pretty much what I was thinking but as I have been out of the game for so long I was even beginning to doubt myself.From reading the forums and from personal experience having no work really rocks your confidence.
    I will calm down now and get some general ideas together, thanks again.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's the big problem we all face. Now not been in a classroom for 7 months and I'm even terrified to answer the phone!