1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

...having to apply to go back to work on a part time basis

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by lilirenton, Nov 17, 2015.

1. lilirenton

lilirenton New commenter

...after maternity leave. Is this standard?
    I was told by my head teacher that I'll have to apply in writing, to the school governors, to go back to work part time.
    It's imperative that I do so, because of child care and really don't think I could cope with workload and baby (not to mention housework etc etc)
    Any advice and experience very welcome- thank you!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I'm not sure what might have led you to believe that you wouldn't have to apply for part time working after maternity leave? Many folk do return full time….
    You do indeed have to apply in writing. Do look up Theogriffs excellent advice on how best to compose that letter to give your request the best chance of being considered favourable. In short, you have the right to make your request once in an academic year, but not the right to have your request granted. The school must give a valid business reason, but in truth, if your school is not up for supporting part time requests, any reason can been given as valid.

Be aware that if you took an enhanced maternity pay package (the 12 weeks 50% part) that in doing so you agree to return for at least 13 weeks post leave - that time calculated on a pro rata basis should you return part time.

3. lilirenton

lilirenton New commenter

Thank you very much for your reply.
    Indeed.
    I just thought the head would be more positive towards my returning to work on a part time basis.

What happens if they deny your request and you really can't go back on a full time basis? I understand the employee would have the right to appeal etc... I'm thinking , after employment tribunals and all.. Has the employee got the right to resign?
    Thanks.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Well compose that letter very thoroughly, submit it and wait and see…

If your request is denied and a 'valid' business reason given, to be blunt, it is unlikely an appeal would get your any further.

When it comes to resigning while on maternity leave the usual resignation dates apply. However, in my experience, 'most' head teachers given enough notice will accept a post holder not returning. Be aware that part of your enhanced maternity pay agreement was to return for at least 13 weeks - the 12 weeks 50% pay part - You will be asked to repay this if you choose not to return.

5. lilirenton

lilirenton New commenter

Thank you very much for replying. :)
    Have a good day