1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having the book thrown at you...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Slave1138, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Slave1138

Slave1138 New commenter

Is anyone else having the whole teacher standards document used as one appraisal target? It seems like it could be open to abuse when the head's evaluation of evidence is the be all and end all.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What?

Something like: thou shalt be a living exemplar of every word written into the good book STPCD and thou shalt do it to the max?

That's not a target.

3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Erm, does that mean that your schools thinks you're not meeting any one of the basic professional standards which you're supposed to meet in order to be a teacher ... ?

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If it is as you say, I think you need to discuss this with your Union. And certainly don't accept the 'target' if offered/told to you!

phlogiston, Lara mfl 05 and Yoda- like this.
  5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Has anyone else been given the same target or is it just you that's being picked on?

Why not ask them to pick a target from the standards document?

Consult your Union. It is totally unreasonable to use all the teacher standards as appraisal targets. You would normally have around three targets....

phlogiston, steely1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. drvs

drvs Star commenter

For a school to be returning to the core standards the teacher would need to be on capability, surely? Either way, it shouldn't be a PM target.

7. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

From an NEU (well, NUT) document I got last year:

upload_2017-10-20_8-51-52.png

EDIT: Image appeared twice.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

EXAMPLES OF OBJECTIVES

Examples of objectives which are not linked to pupil test/exam results could include:

• Make better use of ICT in the classroom so as to demonstrably develop pupils’ skills in using technology to enhance their learning.

• Develop and implement a strategy/strategies to improve pupils’ extended writing skills.

• Consider how pupil groupings in your classroom can improve pupils’ speaking and listening skills, implement any necessary changes and assess their impact.

• Develop strategies to increase opportunities for reading for pleasure to improve reading skills for your pupils and begin to assess their impact.

• Undertake research including, including observing other colleagues and in other schools, to assess how media texts can improve understanding of how the media works and produce a report setting out recommendations.

• Undertake relevant CPD to develop further the positive behaviour of learners.

• Work with the SENCO to develop distinctive teaching approaches to support those pupils with English as an additional language.

9. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Yes, it was part of our PM - not as a target but as a self-evaluation tool. We had to decide whether we were meeting or exceeding expectations on each standard. If there were some we felt less confident we were meeting, that could be incorporated into targets if it was felt to be useful.
    Presumably if you're meeting most standards on a daily basis anyway, then it's fairly pointless to set them all as targets - or means you have met them already, so job done.

10. grumpydogwoman

You undertook this self-evaluation during a meeting set aside for the purpose? As part of your directed hours?
    @muso2

I think I managed to teach pretty effectively for 25 years before knowing anything about the standards. I only bothered with them after that because I became union rep.

If I thought PM would revolutionise the workforce and lead to better outcomes for kids then I'd be all over it. I don't. Sledgehammer to crack a nut. Most teachers manage to limp along doing all the various things teachers have to do without killing anyone, allowing their students to kill anyone or having mass orgies - and STILL get kids reading and writing and passing exams.

Unless I knew a teacher had a specific failing I'd just (if I were the line manager) pick CPD for all my staff and make sure they all got on at least one course a year. Job done. No soul-searching for them. No pressure. Just a bit of help.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Slave1138

Slave1138 New commenter

Thanks for all the replies. We usually get targets dictated in the following format: 1) 100% targets met in core subjects 2) 100% of progress in subject lead across the school 3) one of the standards with additional fluff. Forget CPD, it's a touchy subject. I'm not the only one with this target, it's likely all teachers have the same. We have had very high turnover since the head's tenure and it strikes me as a convenient stick to use to prod anyone towards the door whose face has arbitrarily offended the head. It might just be a lazy way to find out how to develop teachers rather than having an actual conversation with one of them, but nothing would surprise me anymore.

12. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

Years back when a line manager tried to give me a target I didn't like I reminded them that I was supposed to be involved in my target setting and would refuse to sign or abide by any documentation that I didn't fully approve of.

Adhering to the letter of school policy there, in being 'part of the process' was very satisfying. :)

Being given the whole STPCD as a target is utter bull doodoo.

Contact your union.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. Slave1138

Slave1138 New commenter

Yes, there are three, except the third includes all of the standards in a grid with different levels of performance described.

14. drvs

drvs Star commenter

^ well, you're supposed to be meeting all the standards as a qualified teacher anyway so I wonder what the game is here. Presumably grading you against the standards as evidence for pay decisions.

These targets aren't terribly developmental are they?

15. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Ive had to do that too-in more than one school. it's a good starting point for discussion.

16. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

It should be your target surely?

17. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Yes.

The Teacher's Standards can be used as a Bully’s charter.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  18. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Yes-I remember those days too. CPD was far more useful (the one training course you got sent on was usually genuinely interesting) before CPD BECAME A BIG THING. I'm told things are getting worse-as the old heads, who were usually great teachers, have left to be replaced by (in many cases) academy 'managers', there's a massive focus on targets and CPD that just uses money without benefiting students.
    Not sure it's the case everywhere, but have certainly heard/seen lots of things on this forum suggesting it's true.

19. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

From STPCD: "The Teachers’ Standards (England) and Practising Teacher Standards (Wales) are presented in this Document as they underpin the appraisal process..." If that is the case, then it seems reasonable to consider them. They are, after all, the standards expected of teachers, so if teachers are falling short of them in a significant way, there is an issue to be addressed. The snag, as in many parts of the process, is their subective nature, which leaves them open to abuse by management. I may think I "Set high expectations which inspire, motivate and challenge pupils" (for example) but it is not really possible to prove if my manager says I don't.

20. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think the OP is correct that this is merely a lazy way to ensure all staff aspire to meet the basic professional standards. However, for most staff this is a given and so it's a nice easy target to meet.

For those that are struggling with one or more, something more specific would be better practice, in the way @muso2 describes.

This could well be a head taking over a school with high staff turnover who simply has more pressing things to sort than perfect pm targets and so has just given everyone the basics while they get to grips with what the heck is going on. Not a perfect system, but not necessarily a evil intention either. As many of us know, pm targets can just be a nuisance to be ignored for much of the year.