1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having teething problems

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Imsdal, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Only ideas that spring to mind are a) come down hard on these comments a sign of cheek or b) do a short lesson on what dandruff is and what it's caused by and what you do about it and that none of us have a perfect body but it's not infectious or dirty. Not that it bothers you them asking but that they are opening up an interesting opportunity for discussion.

2. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but this is what I would do:-

If it happens again just say "I've had enough of this siily behaviour. This is distracting everyone from their work. Most people have a bit of dandruff without even realising it and if anyone else comments on anyone's personal appearance again in my hearing they will be staying behind at the end/coming back at break to learn manners - is that clear?"

Don't be angry - just say it in a matter-of-fact, calm way and field any questions with "I said was that clear?" - then if they continue, write their names down in your planner and ask them to come back.

I agree that if you seem angry they will do it more - and I am not saying that I would not have done the same as you have to begin with, but obviously this silly girl is getting what mileage out of it that she can for her own daft reasons.

BTW I don't know if it's true about the dandruff - but neither will they - so if you prefer, leave that bit out, but that's what I would say lol.

Any way, what do they mean "eww" - it's dandruff, not plague.

3. Stop wearing black clothes.