1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having real difficulties with new class

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Henriettawasp, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Not a good strategy, in my opinion. Speaking as a parent whose daughter often remarks that a particular anticipated reward for the whole class was once again forfeited due to the behaviour of one child. This type of strategy breeds resentment among the majority of well-behaved pupils.

2. I agree. Its hardly fair to make everyone work harder because one individual can't be bothered. Having said that I suppose its no different to what happens in society at large.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't dream of whole class rewards or sanctions either. Totally goes against everything I believe is fair and right. No way should little Jonny Rotten share in the whole class reward that took three weeks to gain, when they would have gained it a fortnight earlier if it wasn't for his appalling behaviour.

I would enlist the help of your colleagues and do the warning/sending out thing for every child who misbehaves. So what if there are 10 of them?

Make sure the lessons for those left are exciting and engaging and be ultra positive towards those doing the right thing.

Go over the top with rewards for those being good and over the top with sanctions for those being naughty. Keep going with your chosen strategy for a few weeks and they will get the message. Be absolutely clear and consistent. Don't chop and change.

Oh and be patient, you have only been there a week, give them time. they have spent 5 years getting to the point they are at now, they won't become angels in 5 days! But if you believe you will turn them around and get there in the end then you will.

Good luck

4. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

I can see how that can happen, Henrietta, though there are lots of ways of using class wide rewards that prevent such resentment. For one, it should only be done in a situation where there there is a high degree of individual recognition given to those, like your daughter, who behave well. Secondly, it is better used for short periods of time to establish a pattern of appropriate behaviour, after which time the teacher can then move on to individualised recognition.
    As with any strategy, it has its dangers and isn't for every teacher or every class: but used appropriately, it works exceptionally well in establishing the early routines and expectations in a classroom.

5. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Hi, N2E (as Prince might say). Sorry to hear you're battling a bit. What you're experiencing sounds like a perfectly normal part of the new teacher experience in an unfamiliar classroom, where the children haven't learned to see you as an authority figure yet. It also sounds like you're doing everything that you need to in order to get this class on side: clarity, consistency, boundaries and tough love.
    The only thing that's lacking, IMO, is something that, like love, cannot be hurried: time.Rules and expectations take time to bed in, and children need time to become habituated to the way you want the room to run. The real danger for you here is that, seeing how rigour and regimentation haven't seem to have worked, you might give up on them. The answer is that they haven't worked yet. It can take months for children to get used to your behaviour routines. We learn by repeated experience, and with children more so: after all, they only know how the world works through being in it, and as far as they're concerned, you might be a big softy. Actions speak louder than words in classrooms, and many of them will be waiting to see if you mean what you say.
    So show them that you do: keep on with the rules and routines, and they will learn that you're in charge of the room. And once they know that, they'll relax, knowing that they're in a safe, ordered learning environment. And that safety, that order, will provide them with a ladder to climb even higher.
    Good luck to you
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/