1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having more responsibility

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tammy_gal, Feb 22, 2011.

1. I'm in my second year in my first job at the moment and I really feel that I am progressing well with my teaching.
    I've been thinking recently about my professional development, and I was hoping that I may be able to gain some extra responsibilty next year.
    I'm not really sure how to go about this. I want to do my research first, but I really do feel ready and feel that I need to do this to progress further. Should I mention this to the head? I don't want to seem pushy, but I would like her to consider me if anything (eg subject co-ordinator jobs) become available. How can I help her to see that I really have considered this? Could I ask to shadow a co-ordinator or just speak to them of my own accord?
    Sorry for all the questions, but things like this make me nervous and I really am one of the least pushy people ever. I just don't want to be overlooked. I am very quiet, but I am always enthusiastic and do whatever is asked of me.
    Thanks in advance

2. I'm in my second year in my first job at the moment and I really feel that I am progressing well with my teaching.
    I've been thinking recently about my professional development, and I was hoping that I may be able to gain some extra responsibilty next year.
    I'm not really sure how to go about this. I want to do my research first, but I really do feel ready and feel that I need to do this to progress further. Should I mention this to the head? I don't want to seem pushy, but I would like her to consider me if anything (eg subject co-ordinator jobs) become available. How can I help her to see that I really have considered this? Could I ask to shadow a co-ordinator or just speak to them of my own accord?
    Sorry for all the questions, but things like this make me nervous and I really am one of the least pushy people ever. I just don't want to be overlooked. I am very quiet, but I am always enthusiastic and do whatever is asked of me.
    Thanks in advance

3. I think it's great that you feel ready to take on some responsibility, and any good head should welcome this.
    Do you have a team leader who undertakes you performance management? Perhaps this is the best person to speak to first.
    If there are no co-ordination roles that fit with your interests and skills, how about looking at gaining an award for the school? This will require you to collect evidence, lead a working party and deliver staff training. This is great development for someone in your position.
    There are lots of awards: Investors in People; Enterprise; Rights Respecting school; Fair Trade; NACE (Gifted and Talented); Basic Skills and so on.
    Good luck!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You could set up things that your school currently don't have. Do you have student teachers? Can you set this up and mentor them? Can you mentor NQTs, should there be any in Sept? Can you run the school council? Can you set up and run an eco-council?

Think about what subjects you would be good at co-ordinating. Talk to the current co-ord and ask to work with them on bits and pieces. In most primaries you get no reward for subject co-ordination, so no one will mind you taking some of the work from them.

You don't need to be pushy, but you do need to make sure your line manager and HT know you are ambitious and want to progress. Though, to be honest, from your post it stands out a mile and they probably already know!