1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having children

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hayleyab4, Feb 13, 2020.

1. hayleyab4

hayleyab4 New commenter

Hi,
    Did anybody take time away from teaching when they wanted to start a family?
    Was it difficult to get back into teaching after taking some time away?
    Thank you

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

It was 30 years ago but I took five years out. I then did some supply in local schools and soon got a part time role. After a few more years I took full time. I ended up going for promotion and becoming a deputy then a head. So, no, it made no difference to my career except that I ended up with a smaller pension than colleagues who had not had any time out.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Similar to @Sundaytrekker but eight years out (from 1978 so, a different world I know) and when totally skint went back on supply and then into fulltime permanent within 6months. Having time away really motivated me and having been brassic made me value the money very highly. I pushed on through to doing MSc, NPQH and deputy headship. Retired at 58 with a decent pension. If I hadn't had some experiences out of school I might not have wanted promotion ( Playgroup movement and running my own small business)

sunshineneeded likes this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I can't speak personally as I didn't go into schools until after I'd had my children (as lindenlea says, it was a different world then. I had my first child at 20 and second at 22 - very common then). But, over the years, I've seen many teachers take maternity leave (some 2 or 3 times) then return part-time for a while before moving up the career ladder to become SLT or deputy head. I don't know how it will have affected their pension, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference to their career prospects.

5. DexterDexter

DexterDexter Occasional commenter

I have taught in schools where the only appointments have been women over 45 or men. I have also seen schools replace NQTs with NQTs. I have seen new mothers told they have to work full time or nothing. It is feeling very cutthroat in schools at the minute.
    I think these days, getting back into teaching is harder than ever, however, you may have an excellent school network, you may find a school that wants an experienced teacher (sometimes a gap counts as extra experience) and you’re good value for money...
    It’s choice and a gamble that only you can decide. Good luck with whatever you choose and with whatever follows.

6. speaker2

speaker2 Occasional commenter

I think it depends on which subject you teach and where you can work geographically. Higher demand for certain subjects+bigger city = more jobs. However, time out to raise your children if you can make it work financially, if you want that, is IMO the way to go. There will be jobs in the future but your children will suddenly be grown up.