1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Having children overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by tigi, Sep 10, 2017.

  1. tigi

    tigi Occasional commenter

    so I'm getting to that time of my life where I need to make a decision about whether to have children or not. I'm in my early thirties and work in Eastern Europe. We would like to have a baby born in the next two-three years. There is no real reason not to have it here, although we pay for medical, school does have conditions that are probably better than the uk.

    I'm just interested to hear people's experiences in having kids outside the uk. I don't really need advice right now (that may change haha!) but it would just be good to hear people's thoughts...

    Happy Sunday!
  2. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Established commenter

    Not that i have any myself, but my sister has had three while working overseas. The one big thing she learnt from her experience was choosing the correct country to have the child in. My sister chose to have all hers in the UK. My sister married a Kiwi, and if she hadnt gone back home, it wouldnt have effected her children that much, but it would have effected her childrens children when it came to claiming nationality. Also check the paternaty leave your school provides. Some schools its not that much, and if you have the baby in another country then it might not be enough for your partner to get there in time. My brother in law was stuck in JFK when his third child was born, then had to fly back to Peru because he only got 3 days paternaty.
  3. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    Check your rights to a British passport. If you were born outside the UK then you may not pass your British passport onto your children.

    If born outside the UK tour children will face the issue of if their children are born outsife the UK and therefore not eligible for a British passport.

    Rights to a British passport only goes down one generation.
  4. tigi

    tigi Occasional commenter

    Thanks dumbbells interesting point about nationality I'll look into it. I assumed we'd have the baby here as I guess I'd have to work fairly late on into the pregnancy and don't fancy moving in with my parents back home to have it! I think the cost of accommodation could end up being about the same as the cost of a birth here. My partner doesn't teach/work so paternity leave not an issue.
  5. 576

    576 Established commenter

    I know someone who is stuck here at the moment. The family was supposed to return to the July to settle in July but baby's passport is slow in being processed so Mam and bairn are still here waiting.
    I've read nightmare stories about nationality so i'd definitely want to give birth in the UK.
  6. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    Consider the local 'hospital culture' too in your chosen country.

    Here in China c-sections are the norm (or were - end of one child policy is changing that), prenatal care is rather different to the UK (they don't do the same health checks, or perhaps don't do them at the same time as in the UK, diabetes etc.), hospital stays are handled differently (family brings food rather than having it provided by the hospital etc.)

    So, I'd suggest talking to locals and other expats in your country, so see what their experiences have been like.
  7. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    Also consider health insurace, who is going to pay. The cost os a normal delivery in a western private hospital is 10000GBP, thats without complications. Costs in a chinese private hospital is 3000GBP. Insurace will only pay out if the start of the policy was 11months before the birth. Then you will have to pay for the childs health insurance aswell.

    Then I hate to mention if things go wrong, any complications can cost a small fortune.
  8. migratingbird

    migratingbird Occasional commenter

    What people say about the passport not being passed down is correct, but there are a few ways around it. For example, if you move back to the UK in the future, and your child lives there for 5 or more years, their children can have citizenship. Also, if there is no other passport available to the child, for whatever reason, there's a good chance that they would be granted a UK one. Both of my children were born outside of the UK (much further than Europe) and there was no way I could have got back to the UK for either birth. Agree with the above comment about costs - they vary massively both between countries and within a country. You also need to check that the baby will be covered by insurance from the day it is born.
  9. Helen-Back

    Helen-Back Occasional commenter

    Interesting. The cost of an uncomplicated birth in th UK is £1500, at least it was in 2013. I still have the receipt.

    We have one born in North America, one born in the UK. We weren't living in either of those countries at the time of the births. It was important for us that our children were born, well to be honest, in a western democratic country and for them to be able to benefit from the trappings of that nationality if they so choose. When the time comes for them to start a family, they'll have to decide where home really is.
  10. tigi

    tigi Occasional commenter

    All good questions and thoughts here. Quite a few people in my school have had children here so I can ask them about the nitty gritty. I have good health insurance and also pay into the state system here (which is pretty good) so I am not too worried about costs of birth/complications.

    I've got plenty of time to check though, we haven't even started trying! If we ever do have kids though it will have to be with me working abroad because hell to the no am I ever moving back to the uk for work!
    ejclibrarian likes this.
  11. Helen-Back

    Helen-Back Occasional commenter

    If you're in th EU, would it be bad for your children to have EU passports, given the current state of play. They would likely qualify for EU passports and UK.

    It called hedging your bets.
  12. lottee1000

    lottee1000 Occasional commenter

    @tigi you're in Romania right? You know it's two years full pay maternity leave legally? I don't plan on having in children, but if I did, it would be here!
  13. tigi

    tigi Occasional commenter

    Two years maternity leave is a good deal! It's one of the reasons I think we will do it here (if at all, obviously I have no idea if we will conceive or not!) as I can't imagine there would be a much better deal elsewhere.
  14. Fer888

    Fer888 Occasional commenter

    I know you are in Eastern Europe but thought I would share my experience here in China.

    My wife and I have just had a child here in Shanghai. We had it at a local hospital- paid extra to have a single room. I'll try and put the rough figures we paid in. My wife had a C-section as there was a problem with the cord being around my daughters neck. She was quickly rushed in, baby came out to me 15 minutes later and my wife another 15 minutes later. She was in hospital for 5 days (6000 rmb) and we hired an ayi (800 rmb) to help with everything- she slept in the room with her so 24 hour help. The nurses only did things like medical checks or administer medicines. They didn't help with feeding etc which was different to my experience to the nurses in the new baby ward when I had children in the UK. Ella had a bit of jaundice so we had to come back 5 days after leaving the hospital for a check up. They also visited the day after I took my wife home just to check how everything was going. Lots of vaccinations and check etc. but there were no problems. We have to go back after 30 days for another check up I think. Min had food supplied by the hospital.

    I would say however that my wife is Chinese and so the language barrier was not a problem. I have 3 days paternity leave which I am spreading out for when I need it to help my wife but I only live 10 minutes away from the kindergarten and there is some flexibility in coming in late occasionally as I have earned some overtime doing late night interviews when recruiting teacher sin different time zones. My mother in law is also now living with us to help her and will look after the baby when my wife returns to work after Chinese New Year.

    With regard to the passport we will get Ella a British passport but will not use it. China does not recognise dual citizenship and so it is easier to retain her Chinese nationality and just have the passport if needed- means we don't have to register her at the police station or apply for a visa for her to live in China. It does mean she will need a visa for the UK but that should be a problem. I also need to look into getting a passport for my step daughter but not sure if I have to formally adopt her for that. As for sorting out something for my wife will wait for a while until we have the 5 years and enough money to buy a house in the UK. We aim to stay and retire in China full time and just visit the UK to see the family and when it gets too hot !
  15. tigi

    tigi Occasional commenter

    Thanks @stressedhead it sounds like a reasonably positive experience. Congratulations on your daughter and best wishes for the future!
    stressedhead likes this.
  16. tk212

    tk212 New commenter

    Just want to say that to my understanding if you are considered an EXPAT abroad then you are entitled to a British passport for your child IF you are still a registered citizen/resident of the UK.
    You register your child's birth as an international one.
    If I'm wrong please point out , but when living in morocco I know that was the case
    stressedhead likes this.
  17. Fer888

    Fer888 Occasional commenter

    Thanks tk212- will do so when I go back in the summer. Where did you go to register it as when I tried to find out a couple of months ago I was given the run around?
  18. tk212

    tk212 New commenter

    stressedhead likes this.
  19. tk212

    tk212 New commenter

    In morocco you wouldn't get a Moroccan passport as you have to be born Muslim. I imagine that many foreign countries have rules as such which you wouldn't fit into and be classed as stateless. There should be a contact number to clarify or best thing would be to double chexk your location and the laws with citizens advice bureau
  20. tk212

    tk212 New commenter

    Just to add in most countries your child won't get citizenship of that country unless you have citizenship rights. If you're working as expat on visa then you're ok

Share This Page