1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having a year out before stress kills me - any ideas what to do?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by oceanroc7, Nov 11, 2018.

1. oceanroc7

oceanroc7 New commenter

So a combination of the remorseless and ever-increasing workload, constant anxiety about work which is pervading my sleep too often, and ever-increasing blood pressure (3 increases in dosage in the last 6 years) has made me realise I would be nuts NOT to give myself a year out. SLT are vaguely supportive and I think will have me back. Either way - I owe it to myself not to die of a heart attack before I retire.
    So far my plans include a month teaching in Nepal, some trekking in Pakistan, volunteering in the rain forest in Brazil, working with animals in New Zealand, and doing some agriculture work on the Cook Islands. Then coming back to do some tutoring before - hopefully - finding another full time teaching job in a high-demand (i.e. science) subject. I will miss my husband but he understands.
    I obviously need to think about money/pensions etc and am still paying off my mortgage.
    The plan is to come back, resume work (with my mojo regained) and continue until I retire at 60.
    If anyone has any thoughts, ideas or cautions for me I would be very grateful.
    But teaching is slowly breaking me apart - mentally and physically - and I need to fix myself somehow.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Take your year out - it sounds fantastic (apart from Pakistan - I don't think a single female going trekking would be a good idea, but perhaps you know the area?). See how it goes, how you feel at the end of it. Then perhaps apply for a job in an international school, rather than returning to the UK. Depending on the school and country it's a much more pleasant experience than teaching in the UK!

3. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

Try India. Wonderful place.x

4. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

A huge adventure. You will have to plan it very carefully as some of those ideas are very hard on you. My ideal year out would be spent in Italy learning the language, cookery and getting acquainted with the art and architecture.

5. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

You have a lovely itinerary there. Another suggestion is house sitting which might be more relaxing and give you some much needed rest. You clearly have the money to travel and usually your ticket is all you need.Often it involves looking after pets...so if you like animals it might be an idea.

6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

If your SLT are ‘vaguely supportive’ then, when you’ve made your decision, write to them formally and ask if the governors would agree to a year’s unpaid sabbatical. If you did this about February to take effect September 1st it gives them plenty of time to consider before you decide whether you will resign in May.

oceanroc7 likes this.
  7. i4004

i4004 New commenter