1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having a part time job whilst doing PGCE

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by ctinblue7, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to know if it's a wise idea to keep my part time job at Sainsburys whilst doing a PGCE? Does anyone currently have a part time job whilst doing theirs?

2. Forget it - you'll be too busy.

3. I am currently studying a PGCE and working part time. It is very difficult, but I am half way through and coping. Unfortunately I did not receive a bursary for my PGCE so I wasn't left with much choice. If you workplace is really flexible that will make it easier as some evenings will be way more busier than others.

Hope this helps :)

4. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Not a chance, really. The more focus you can give to the course, the easier it will be.

5. happydavid

happydavid New commenter

I kept my part-time job throughout my PGCE. I worked three evenings a week (Friday, Saturday and Sunday), though I did cut Sunday evenings out during my final placement. To be honest, it wasn't for the money, but it was so nice to keep a toe grounded in the real world.

I'd say try it. If you find the workload too much as you get into the course you can always have a rethink and cut down or cut out your part-time job altogether.

6. Impossible.

7. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

A couple of people on my PGCE had supermarket jobs throughout the course and seemed to manage.
    Personally, I could have managed one day of the weekend for a part time job but not the evenings. You are in school every day (apart from the days you are at uni) and when you finish at around 3.15pm there may be meetings to attend and you will certainly have lesson plans to write, marking as you progress through the year and uni assignments to write.
    I generally found I need 2 hours per evening for PGCE work and half a day of the weekend, apart from the times when I had assignments and then it was all weekend.
    Everyone has different experiences on the PGCE, I didn't find it took over my life that much but friends on the course seemed to be working 24/7.

8. Thank you for all of your responses. I think I will give it a go juggling both but if it gets too much then will pack the part time job in [​IMG]

9. Consider also whether or not you want to be serving the students you have to teach. Could be tricky. I'd suggest doing as much overtime as you can now and then apply for a tax rebate (p50)

10. Hi Georgia99,
    If you don't mind me asking, did your PGCE course have Masters credits attatched to it? Mine has and am wondering if this will impact on what is required of us in terms of coursework and assessments. [​IMG]

11. nandos33

nandos33 New commenter

You could always tutor in your subject. There are a number of tutoring agencies you could use - have a look in the tutoring forum for recommendations. Fees you could charge vary, I charge £25 per hour (having done it for 3 years now). You decide when and how often you are available for tutoring, so it's nice and flexible.

12. My gosh! How did you do 30 hours a week sounds like a lot aswell as full time education. Tutoring does sound like a good idea - think I will look into that [​IMG]