1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having a job interview nightmare!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by anwent, Jul 2, 2019.

1. anwent

anwent New commenter

Hi everyone!

I have a job interview for a year 1 teaching post on Friday. I will be teaching a group of around 15 reception children for a 20minute session.
    The topic can be literally anything- which is where I’m coming unstuck, as there is so much I could cover!

The only rule is that there is a clear learning objective which is shared at the beginning and end of the lesson, so that children know what learning has taken place.

The school is very creative and big on display. I have been tipped off that they may like something to do with wellness, so I was wondering about something from PSED, but I am struggling to find something with a clear learning objective that I could also approach in a creative way.

Do any of you marvellous people have any suggestions or advice for me?

Thanks in advance!

2. wildeoscar17

wildeoscar17 New commenter

You've mentioned PSED- maybe do something around friendship? or how the children feel transitioning into year 1. If I were you, I would use a story and base a PSED lesson around it- it's important to use a book you're familiar with!

3. anwent

anwent New commenter

I meant to edit, as I realised I hadn't put my ideas so far, but I ran out of time!
    I was thinking about looking at emotions with a possible literacy link, for example getting the children to write what makes them happy/sad and maybe displaying these on a sheet around a relevant emoji, or sequencing a sentence from words on cards/writing their own sentences.
    This is where I'm struggling, as I'm not sure what I should make the LO? Should it be about the PSED element or the literacy or both?! Also, this doesn't feel particularly creative.. how could I take this up a notch?

4. wildeoscar17

wildeoscar17 New commenter

In my experience, asking for a reception class to write a sentence will take longer than 20 minutes! Look at the development matters statements (30-50 months and 40-60months) as most of the 15 children will fit into these categories. By looking at these statements you will gain greater clarification on your L.O. In the past, I have chosen a book like 'Alans big scary teeth' and stopped halfway through where he is a 'bad' friend and then get children to write on postick notes words that would make him a better friend. Whilst reading the story, I embedded key language that made a good friend so the children had a consistent reminder of what was expected of them. The children wrote one word or drew a picture and stuck their postick notes on a picture of Alan, so that he could take it home and remember what makes a good friend. As a plenary, I went through the children's ideas.
    Or for self-confidence, you could ask the children to write one word that makes them a good friend.

If you would like you could PM me (I'm new and I have no idea how to do this otherwise I would message you!)

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Clear learning objectives at the beginning and end of a lesson for Reception sounds horrible!
    Depends on the school, there they are likely to be at this stage. If it is a high attaining school in what used to be called a 'leafy lane' then most will have met the ELG or exceeded by now.

Or if you want a DM objective, it could be something like
    'I can talk about how people show feelings and know how to comfort people who are upset'.
    Or
    'I can talk about how people show feelings and know how to solve problems using words'.

6. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

I teach reception in an EAL school in a naff area and the vast majority of our children could write one sentence in less than 5 minutes. They do a sentence in the morning before the register. Just letting you know you may be surprised at their ability.