1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having a GTP student in your class

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Delphi, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Delphi

Delphi New commenter

Have been asked to consider having a GTP student based in my class next year (primary).
    Can anyone tell me what this entails - what are the expectations of me as the class teacher, how much extra work will this involve on my part, how much support will I need to give etc. Am assuming that s/he will have a mentor as well, though not sure about this.
    Can't seem to get any concrete info on relevant sites about implications for class teachers and don't want to commit to something I can't fulful.
    Maybe some current GTPers could tell me what they expect from their class teacher as well.
    Thanks

2. Will have you them in your class all year except for the time they are at their second placement? My info is based on this scenario as I was on the GTP last year and stayed in the same class most of the time. I am assuming you will be the mentor as well. If not most the info wouldn't apply so much.
    I think some depends on the GTPer. Although I am fairly messy, I am proactive so I went out of my way not to cause more work, as I was aware of how busy teachers are. The class teacher I was with was also my mentor. I organised who I observed and also the teaching I wanted to do in other year groups so there was little extra work for the class teacher, but I had worked at the school as a TA so knew the other teachers. As I taught more and more over the year the class teacher had more and more time free (as they only needed to observe me once a week) so were able to do a lot of other work, as they didn't need to be in the classroom with me. My mentor was quite well ahead by the end of the year.
    My mentor observed me once a week, we had a chat about how it went and took targets forward for the next time. Once a week we would have a half an hour chat about how things were going, what next to observe etc and general progress. This was usually after school.
    I think it boils down to how you feel about control. The class teacher I was with was very laid back, happy for me to try out new ways of doing things, even if she wasn't convinced it might work and generally happy to take more of a back seat as the year went on. I did things like organise the nativity play, the school trip etc which she saw as a bonus, but some might hate.
    I asked her about it after and she said she was happy to have me in her classroom all year because she already knew me and what I was like (she offered to mentor me so I could do the GTP). She had previously had a GTPer who was not happy to take advice and wanted to work minimal hours and she said she wouldn't want to do it with a person she didn't know as it is such a big committment to have them in your class for the whole year.
    I feel incredibly lucky that someone was prepared to share their class for a whole year and she definitely gained in terms of time off to do other school based things, but she did have to give up control and share it with me which wouldn't suit everybody. She also had to attend about three mentor meetings in school time during the year and visit me at my second school placement once. I arranged my second school placement, but other mentors did this for their GTP, so there are bits of work involved there too.
    I hope this is of help.

3. Delphi

Delphi New commenter

Thanks, singup. That's very helpful.
    Have had a fair few students through the "normal" route over the years, some good, some not so good and I suppose that's why I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing because it's a year long committment. Sounds like your mentor was as lucky with you as you were with her!
    But I'm clearer about what it involves now, so thanks again.