1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Having a Flap

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by contactpaulforbes, May 9, 2019.

1. contactpaulforbes

contactpaulforbes New commenter

I'm mid way through my PP2 and am still on Meeting Expectations on the Teacher standards.

I'm working as hard as I can but just seem to be treading water and getting the odd standard ticked off by my mentor who only watches me once a week.

I had hoped to go from ME to Outstanding but realistically that's not going to happen at this point.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

What does 'outstanding' even mean? It's nonsense. One person's outstanding is another person's rubbish. No one can be outstanding everyday. What would happen if you were given an outstanding for a lesson observation? Would it mean you have attained a state of perfection?

You are meant to develop during the PGCE. Your development will depend on a lot of factors, including the school, the kids, your mentor... You will continue to develop as an NQT, and thereafter.

Don't beat yourself up about it. :)

purplecarrot likes this.
  3. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

You need to focus on developing into the best teacher you can, and not worry about some nonsense label.

I'd also bet my bottom dollar that how you're feeling is being exacerbated by the typical trainee feedback to each other of 'my mentor says I'm outstanding, I had an outstanding observation, I'm on track to be outstanding in all areas'. If so, ignore it. I've worked with trainees who were told by previous mentors they were outstanding and I found them deeply average.

@blueskydreaming is right. Don't beat yourself up about it. You're at the very beginning.

blueskydreaming likes this.