1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Haven't received QTS certificate from GTC - panicking

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Daniello, Sep 17, 2009.

1. I'm starting to panic as it's fast approaching pay day, and I still haven't received my QTS certificate from the GTC - will I not be paid? What should I do?

2. I'm starting to panic as it's fast approaching pay day, and I still haven't received my QTS certificate from the GTC - will I not be paid? What should I do?

3. I haven't either but school have said not to worry and just to bring it in when I get it.

4. I haven't had mine either!! Apparently you have to call the GTC to check they have your address and you also need to make sure you are FULLY registered with them, you can download and print off the form on the GTC site. It can take 2/3 weeks after calling the GTC to get your QTS certificate. I called almost 3 wks ago and still not got it.

5. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I haven't received mine yet, either. You do need to contact the GTC and confirm you are registered as an NQT - this is your responsibility, not the school's.

6. You will be paid, but as an unqualified teacher until you show it to the school. You also need to have passed all of the skills tests before it will be issued.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

being registered as an NQT is NOT a pre-requisite for getting your QTS certificate. Some people have been recommended by their ITT provider for QTS and heaven't got teaching jobs yet; they still get their QTS and the certificate that goes with it!
    You can only get QTS (and the certificate) when all Skills tests are passed.
    If you have started work in a State 5-16 school you need to pay the GTC registration fee, which is a separate issue and should not affect the issuing of the QTS certificate.

8. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There is often delays in receiving certification from GTC and usually schools will accept the letter from your uni confirming you have passed and are being recommended for QTS

9. It's not whether you're registered as an NQT, it's whether they've got your address!
    You need to contact the GTC. The likely explanation is that they haven't got your address details - it happens a lot, I was told. They gave me my QTS date over the phone, took my address details and said the certificate would take another four weeks. The application form for full membership arrived quicker! [​IMG]

10. Same situation here. Contacted GTC the other day as had been waiting 3 weeks after end of August (when they claimed not to have my address despite me sending it to them in their prepaid envelope!!!!!), have been told it will be a further 2 to 3 weeks from yesterday due to vast quantities. I am a fully paid up member quicker than my certificate is taking as they gave me my date of QTS award. Am seriously hoping that I am paid the qualified rate next week - I really need it!!!! Fingers crossed I am, cos I can;t have been a fully registered member of GTC without having had my date of QTS award, else I will still be living like a poor student for ages :(

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The top of the Unqualified Teachers' Payscale is higher than M1 on the qualified mainscale. Therefore, even if your QTS is not ratified in time for September pay, they should be able to pay you on the Unqualified point that is just below your contracted M scale rate and you shouldn't end up significantly out of pocket.

12. Call GTC and give them your provisional number and tell what the case is. In my case the Uni didn't pass the necessary documents. So I called Uni and said what the case was - within less than a week I had my certificate. It's usually the case of overloaded unis not passing the info to GTC. It also might be worth checking if they have your current address. Nothing to worry about - just make these phone calls.

13. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I'm a bit worried now - I've obviously not been given correct info. I got a letter from the GTC in July with my teacher reference number and a form to fill in. My uni said to send the form to them, not the GTC, and that I must return the form by law to register.
    I had no idea that I'd be paid on unqualified teacher wages until I produced my QTS certificate/proof - it doesn't state that on any of the paperwork I received at the end of my PGCE. Will it be alright if I take in my GTC letter with my teacher number to show school?
    Plus, nothing said anything about payment, but I know you have to pay to be a member of the GTC. I am just very confused about the whole thing now! I'll be making phone calls during my lunchtime on Monday, then.

14. Hi there,
    I have had the same problem, still no certificate, but when I rang the GTC I said my worry was that my school wanted to see it and they told me that all the school had to do was log into the GTC website (apparently any school can do this) and they can check your status online, all they need is your full name, DOB and teacher number.
    I passed this information onto the school and they found someone who knew how to do this and they now have all the info required and aren't bothered about seeing my copy of the certificate now. It took a bit of asking around in school to find someone who knew how to do this, but once found it took a matter of minutes to confirm everything, I suggest you try the same thing, it saved a lot of worry for me!

Good luck

15. I'm in the same boat. I changed over my surname, this caused massive problems with the GTC linking up my skills tests - passed at the very beginning of training.
    My school were on about dropping me a pay scale. Each time I have contacted the GTC since sorting out my name change they tell me the same thing: certificate is at the printers... since AUGUST! Crazy. My school have been told to check online, not sure if they have yet. If they all have the ability to check online there is no legitimate reason to drop a payscale, is there?

16. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

With your GTC reference number and date of birth schools can check on line to confirm QTS status. A letter from your uni stating they are recommending you for QTS is also proof
    The payment is usually deducted automatically at source from your wages and claimed back as a taxable allowance

17. nqt04

nqt04 New commenter

The £33 is added to wages by LEAs. An individual teacher has a responsibility to pay their GTC fee (usually by Direct Debit in April), and to claim tax relief by informing HMRC. There are strict rules about what employers can deduct from wages, and fees to a professional body are not normally deductible in this way.

18. Hi,

I'm really worried reading this post. I got married in the summer and I'm currently a fourth year student. Everything is in my maiden name and I have my QTS tests coming up (they have stated just to bring my marriage certificate along as evidence). Everything at university is in my maiden name and I saw no point changing everything for the last year should I have done or is it easier to just qualify under my maiden name then change everything once I qualify??

Heidi

19. I was in the same boat but when I contacted the GTC they were very helpful and besides informing me of the date that I was registered with them and giving me the info about the school or local authority using my teacher number on their web site to check the register, they also sent out a letter confirming my QTS status that I was able to give to the school. The contact number is on theGTC web site. Good luck.

20. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Thanks to those for explaining payment. And I spoke to the office re. my QTS status and it's all sorted now. Hurrah!