1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you worked at a school where a pupil was stabbed?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by MeabhR, Apr 20, 2011.

1. ...and how did you handle it?
    I'm writing a feature for the TES magazine about what happens at school in the aftermath of a pupil stabbing. I'm looking for teachers who are willing to speak to me about the effect the incident had on the school community, how it was dealt with, and whether it changed any school policies or attitudes.
    I'd really appreciate it if you could email me at meabh.ritchie@tes.co.uk or give me a call on 0203 194 3295. I can change your name/any specific details if you would prefer to remain anonymous.
    Look forward to hearing from you, Best, Méabh

2. Where are the other posts? Am I the only person who finds this hugely distasteful? Is that why the other posts have disappeared?

3. Oops sorry - 18 posts in your name. I was so appalled I couldn't read properly.

4. Nope! Don't worry it's not just you!

5. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Why do you find this distasteful gorgybaby? Unfortunately, these things do happen - I would be interested to see how a school and the community deals with a tragic situation like this. When I was a student teacher in Nottingham, a 13 year old girl was shot and killed. Her cousins were at the primary school where I was doing my teaching practice and nobody really knew what to say, how to act etc. apart from a run-of-the-mill bereavement assembly that wasn't really suited to this particular situation. Perhaps an article on what has happened in other schools and communities could have been helpful.

6. I just think it's a bit disrespectful to be quite honest.

7. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I can see how something like this could be. However, Meabh has offered to change names and details to preserve anonymity. I think that is tactful and respectful.

8. So let's get this straight. The issue of violence in schools is never to be discussed or written about or generally brought in to the public arena, including ideas on how to prevent or deal with the horrific aftermath, because some people might find it distasteful? How else is a journalist supposed to find contributors other than asking the people most likely to have been involved?