1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

have you started reading in Reception yet?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Sam07, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Sam07

Sam07 New commenter

am using new letters and sounds dfes doc and wondered when you are sending reading books home? in previous years we have sent them home after autumn 1 but not sure how to do it this year.
    thanks

2. Sam07

Sam07 New commenter

am using new letters and sounds dfes doc and wondered when you are sending reading books home? in previous years we have sent them home after autumn 1 but not sure how to do it this year.
    thanks

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

About a third of my class have reading books.

4. I'm with Msz on this one, about one third have reading books and all bar 2 of the others have word lists to practise sounding out. They all have had, from day 1, a library book to share at home.
    Most of me wants to wait until after xmas, when they are fulltime, to give the rest reading books. I don't have enough time in the day!

5. colorado

colorado New commenter

Around half of my class have reading books - some ORT and some Jelly and Bean, depending on whether they seemed to enjoy learning by sight recognition, or by building up phonic knowledge and blending. They all do blending in daily sessions, but I have a few very bright children, who would have been 'held back' by blending alone.
    So how are we all going to get them all up to this mythical 'standard' being talked about by the Conservatives? What about our SEN children? And what will happen to the poor souls if, heaven forbid, we fail to have them reading by 6?
    I feel more 'intervention stategies' coming on.

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

All my children have been taking home a free choice story or information book from the book corner from day 1.

I send home decodable books when they know most of the single letter grapheme/phoneme correspondences, and are blending confidently. At the moment, I only have 8 children that I have given reading books to, but I think that some of the others will be ready very soon.

7. My class have also taken books from the book corner home since starting in September (by the way, has anyone else found that while most love taking them home, some children are really reluctant to take a book home to share?)

Just over half of them have started taking decodable reading books home.

The rest are still on 'sharing' books as they are not yet confident with blending.

8. Mine all take home readers home now. They change them whenever they want. They also take a library book home to share.

9. I have about 8 children that have books sent home with them-these children are able to identify all sounds and are able to blend sounds together. I have about another 10 that i send words home with to practise blending at home and then the rest take home sound cards for the sounds they dont know yet to practice them at home, finding them in books etc.

10. All children take home 'share' book from library from day 1. Now we have covered first 7 weeks and know some tricky words most of the children have the Look and Say JP books, the more able who are blending easily are on the Jelly and Bean books. 2 SEN children are reading books we have made with s,a,t,p,i,n words in.

11. I think 10/26 of mine have reading books, ORT songbirds mainly (though 2 are on the yellow level!). A further 6 are taking home 'CVC word bags' which contain 4-6 CVC words, the objects and the letters to build the words.

Lucy

12. sam if its any consolation i'm the same as you - been confused as to when to send readers and what to send- we havent any decodable books at the moment so feel a bit in the air- thinking on the lines of word lists etc hope this helps

13. All of mine hae reading books by their second week in school although a couple of children started by taking home books without print. I hear all of them read individually three or four times a week (or my TA) so can keep on top of their individual needs. It's hard work !!
    I've done guided reading in the past and that's been easier in terms of time but not as focused on the individual. My friend teaches Reception at another school and she hasn't sent any books home yet; depends on what works for you and your class, I think.

14. phoneix - can i just ask how u find the time to read with all of your children 3/4 times a week??? Once all of mine are reading i only have time for once a week with a class of 30

15. Glossy reading books are lovely for the children to be able to take home either to share with parents or to blend independently.

You might also consider paper-based text level material which has the added advantage of printing or photocopying en masse and which can be written or drawn on.

Have a look at the text material 'I can read' and the word level material 'My Words' word lists and 'I can read, write and draw' in unit 1 of www.phonicsinternational.com .

We don't give the children text to read until they can blend independently so there is a delay between introducing the letter/s-sound correspondences and the equivalent text level material.

When I wrote the programme, I was surprised at how quickly I was able to write some text level material that was not entirely inane. You don't really get to see this just through the text in unit 1 unfortunately. I did decide to use the word 'the' and this opened up great possibilities for early text.

We are providing word and text level material for some of our reception children but which includes only those letter/sound correspondences that all the children have been introduced to. The word and text level resources allows us to differentiate and extend without dividing the children up into more and more complicated groups.

There is a piece of text for every new letter/s-sound correspondence introduced throughout the entire programme. This is not intended as a substitute for good quality reading books but I am finding it makes ideal rehearsal material and is very flexible to use.

If nothing else, the examples of resources which are free to download in unit 1 of the programme might give teachers some ideas.

See www.phonicsinternational.com

16. YOY

YOY

Warning - smug parent mode enabled! My eldest started to read without a lot of prompting when still part-time - his school run nursery and reception together as a foundation stage unit, and he had a tendency to gatecrash the phonics sessions for the older children :) I'm eternally grateful that his teacher recognised his interest in and aptitude for reading and worked with it, so he got ORT readers to bring home before starting reception, was allowed to change his books as often as he liked and whenever we (teacher and myself) felt it was getting a bit easy was allowed to skip to the next stage to keep it manageable but with a bit of challenge. Now, nearly a term into Y1 he's an enthusiastic and fluent reader and copes confidently with stage 9 of the ORT. Other children in his class struggled more, but they were all given something to take home and encouraged to borrow sharing books. The attitude seemed to be very much you get books when you're ready, and the school wouldn't say no to a willing child. Worked for us and everyone else ion his class that we know - not all of whom were particularly good readers.

17. we have about 20/30 reading jelly and bean books. 2 on ORT songbirds.

all children take home a reading book to share at home. all children do guided reading twice a week, with low ability looking at initial sounds and beginning to blend.

18. Rainbow 6 - I have 26 children and hear them three times a week at the moment, hoping to build up to four (I take them swimming once a week so can't do that day and the other day I assess their key words).
    On Mondays, my TA or I will hear them read during a 'Choice of Activities' session which pretty much lasts until assembly at 11.30 (breaking for playtime / milk) whilst the other takes children, maybe two or three at a time for writing. Monday afternoons we do Maths and have Library session. It's difficult to explain, just giving you one day as an example. I am fortunate in that I have a good range of parent helpers (one different one every day) so I have children out cooking, sewing and doing Art work and they get to do a range of activities. I teach Knowledge and Understanding through topics which frees up some time. Not sure if I've answered your question though !!