1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you started it, yet?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dunteachin, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Flippin' Christmas shopping?!

I was in a couple of High St stores last week and there were huge displays of Christmas stuff. I nearly ran out. Puddings and mince pies are on the shelves, already. We haven't even had Halloween.:(

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Stop it.

I have looked at the milk and more leaflet and decided to buy first daughter Jaffa Cakes. Second daughter is having a tea caddy.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

But the only thing I have actually bought is the tea caddy. Oh, she gets the tea bags in it too. Never say I'm cheap.

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

Stop it.

I have looked at the milk and more leaflet and decided to buy first daughter Jaffa Cakes. Second daughter is having a tea caddy.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

But the only thing I have actually bought is the tea caddy. Oh, she gets the tea bags in it too. Never say I'm cheap.

kibosh and Dragonlady30 like this.
  4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I only have to buy for my mother and I'll do that online.

I'm going away for Christmas.

5. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Anywhere exciting? Warm?

6. Dunteachin

Love Yorkshire tea! Where did you get that caddy?

Mind you, I suffer pangs of guilt whenever I drink tea after having watched a programme about the shocking conditions on the plantations.

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I'm going to Amsterdam. Flying out on Christmas day and back on the 28th.

8. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I am off on a muse now. Second daughter has contract of all things to do designs on plates, amongst other commissions, not just for Christmas, from her agency, but she also does a couple of days a week coding for Sainsbury - her pin money. She says she is disgusted with the rampant marketing of Halloween and then Christmas, and I have had to explain people actually freeze shop purchased mince pies, which will then be on 2 for 1 after the 25th.

Now, were it not that I was from the Potteries originally I would laugh, but this is a girl born at Frimley Park like the Wessex girl who is fighting for her sight very emergency prem, whereas my daughter has supersight.

Anyway, I think I am putting up my steels over Xmas, but may pause for a couple of days for the random stragglers to make me pay or make a meal in a building going complete re-development. Joy to the world and all that! Can you wrap up steels in Xmas paper... no I thought not.

9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I bought the younger child 2 bottles of expensive hair products in Costco a couple of weeks ago ( the kind of product one would never ever buy for oneself at that price! ) I suppose they will be left filling up my ensuite shower caddy when she goes back to London after Christmas. I have only just moved 3 containers of her products and a Mouton and Brown shower gel I bought her out of there this am from her last visit home..... weeks ago that was. She leaves a fair proportion of her presents behind i.e. the ones she can't be bothered with - I wonder should I recycle them and give them again for this Christmas? Now that would save some money. There is also the bottle of (expensive) vodka I bought her from my Baltic cruise.....

kibosh likes this.
  10. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

: .... ))))

ilovesooty likes this.
  11. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Quite, might as well mix a bit of "fairy" up with some rose petals, cinnamon and mint leaves in a nice bottle. They'll never know the difference.

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have started writing a list of bits for me and ideas for others. My husband is very good at shopping for himself but I struggle to think of what I want in return. My nieces and nephews are hardest to shop for. My sister in law is always very helpful - she sends me a link to an Amazon wishlist and I just click and pay.

13. grumpydogwoman

The caddy was Sainsbury @Dunteachin. I have 2.

I didn't even notice it said TREE!! She told me. Daughter 2. How stupid am I?

Tea. Coffee. Oh, dear. Tap-water it is then.

14. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

I'm coming home to Scotland in a couple of days. Flying out day after tomorrow. i'm going to do my Christmas shopping for the Scottish relatives when I'm there and wrap and leave the presents. I have a huge family, and since I like to buy what I think people will like, rather than what something weighs, I often spend more on postage than the actual present!

kibosh likes this.
  15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

My granddaughter's birthday is mid November and I really can't contemplate Christmas until that's over. Doesn't seem fair otherwise!

But- we did buy some lights from the garden centre at the weekend, having learned from bitter experience that they sell out of the decent ones very quickly.

Ours will be quiet this year as it's the in laws turn.

16. Dunteachin

Oh! I didn't see 'tree', either! :p

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Christmas?? :confused:

CHRISTMAS????? :eek:
    I had 2 family birthdays last week and have 4 more before Christmas, so have I thought about Christmas??

Well, yes! I have bought my sisters pressy and know what I'm going to buy my brothers but one is going to take a bit of arranging! :D

18. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I've probably got half the presents I need to give so far. I tend to buy things as and when I see them on my travels, got quite a few lovely things in Norway and Barcelona this summer. I hate feeling rushed about Christmas so spread it out.

19. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I got a playmobil advent calendar for the kitten - it has 24 little toys that are behind the doors. I thought it better than just the chocolate one, which.was eaten in one day (when the kitten realised he could have lots of chocolate). Other than that, nope.

bombaysapphire and ilovesooty like this.
  20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Strange cafe culture there, not bad just strange if you know what I mean?