1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you seen the government’s new tool to recruit teachers?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 27, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

LadyTManda and Sbono like this.
  2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I do find it bizarre that the teaching bursaries give the trainees more money than they can expect when they get a job.

It's also bizarre that geography is now a shortage subject; the last time I was recruiting for geography (it was 2007) I got about 100 applications.

Oh, what do I think of the ad? Pointless.

3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

It's a carrot that quickly transforms into a stick.

Anonymity and Sbono like this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

An advertisement may tempt a few. Retention is the big problem, not recruitment.y

needabreak likes this.
  5. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Is this the tool you are referring to?

upload_2015-10-27_18-4-18.jpeg

6. Middlemarch

That's one scary, stary face.

sabrinakat, lanokia and snowyhead like this.
  7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

She always looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

8. hermitcrabbe

hermitcrabbe Established commenter

I wonder if adverts like that recruit anyone. I am not convinced that people go into teaching for the reasons suggested ( or that they ever have). As far back as I can recall this has been the format for teacher recruitment. It is based on what it is PC to say when you are being interviewed in my experience,not on what really motivates.

As the real motivations ( hygiene factors as they have sometimes been called) are diminished and/or are removed from teaching then adverts like this will have little or no impact.

needabreak likes this.
  9. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Teaching, going by the advert, engenders in men a selective amnesia relating to razors.

Middlemarch and hermitcrabbe like this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

'It premieres on national TV today and is scheduled to appear in a range of popular slots on ITV (The Jonathan Ross Show), Channel 4 (Gogglebox) and Channel 5 (NCIS) over the next few weeks, costing the DfE £3m.'

(TES, 27th October 2015.)

They may as well put stickers on lampposts and on pub toilet walls next to the Durex machines:

'Do you want to earn £30k tax-free for wearing a suit and not shaving? Call Nicky on 07947 U-Muppet'

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Wow!

It's almost like there's a really serious crisis just round the corner...

£25K to teach biology and chemistry? Nah, still not worth it.

It's not a profession.

[​IMG]

Missbubbleblue likes this.
  12. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

13. ElenaMukhina

ElenaMukhina Occasional commenter

Ha.

I like it:)

14. Middlemarch

Correct. These ads have been roughly the same for at least 20 years. Is ANYONE fooled by them?

snowyhead likes this.
  15. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

OK I can cope with NCIS, I might just about manage Gogglebox but people who watch Jonathan Ross coming into the teaching profession.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

16. Vince_Ulam

A dismaying number of candidates.

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Also on the TES - link here

A formal complaint has been lodged with the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) over the government’s new teacher recruitment advertisement, which claims that teachers can earn “up to £65,000” a year.

Martin Powell-Davies, an executive member of the NUT teaching union, has submitted a complaint to the ASA as he believes the advert, which focuses on potential earnings with its hashtag #teachersmake, is “deliberately misleading”.

In his blog, Mr Powell-Davies said that many teachers had “angrily taken to social media” in a bid to find out who these teachers were who were earning as much as £65,000 a year.

According to the union activist, the Department for Education’s own figures reveal that such a salary would be available to only a “tiny proportion” of teachers living in inner London who are at the very top of the “leading practitioners” pay range.

“The government's own figures show that only 0.6 per cent of teachers are paid on the [leading practitioners] pay range and, given that this range starts at as low as £38,598, then only a small proportion of this small proportion of teachers receives a salary anywhere near £65,000,” Mr Powell-Davies writes.

His comments come as the NUT has announced it will be lobbying the government over how schools source supply teachers, after it claimed that schools had paid £733 million to teacher supply agencies last year because of staff shortages.

In his formal submission to the ASA, Mr Powell-Davies says that, given the DfE is well aware that the proportion of teachers who can earn such a salary is “extremely small”, he believes the advert is creating a “deliberately false impression”.

Mr Powell-Davies adds: “The facts are that, after five years' hard slog, most teachers can only hope (if they've not had their pay progression blocked) to have made it to the top of the main pay range. That's £33,000 per annum or £634 per week. If you're working a 63-hour week, that's just £10 per hour. That's what most ‪#‎teachersmake in reality. No wonder there's a crisis.”

The claims over the salaries that teachers could potentially make sparked outrage on Twitter last night.

18. Kamit

Kamit New commenter

As a non-teacher I would say that teaching is a fantastic career. You can work just about anywhere in the world, you get great pensions and the money isn't bad (although supply pay is pathetic). So to focus on a very slim chance of earning a good, though not spectacular, salary is a bit weird.

In 2010 I seriously looked in to becoming a teacher. It wasn't the money that put me off it was the workload. I'd be doubling my hours for about the same pay. Yes the work would probably be more meaningful (and have far more moments of fun) but I want to come home at 5pm and spend the evening with my family.

They wouldn't have to be spending all this money on recruitment if they concentrated on why they can't retain. Nobody paid for a 40 hour week should be working 10+ extra hours for free.

19. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

You wonder if Taylor Mali could come up with some sort of plagiarism claim. Particularly towards whichever advertising company was paid a small fortune to come up with the idea.

What teachers make - a poem by Taylor Mali

20. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

The DfE will respond by claiming that the figure of £65K pa reflects an inner-London post-threshold teacher's remuneration package in a non-maintained secondary school (which includes employer's TPS contributions and bursary for STEM graduates - terms and conditions apply).