1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you seen any job increase?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rugby_gal06, Jun 14, 2011.

1. I haven't seen any in my area yet. My main worry is most of the jobs that have been advertised up until half term tended to be for NQTs and experienced teachers and now that jobs that are being advertised are aimed at experienced teachers and next to nothing for NQTs.
    Should I start worrying yet?

2. I didn't see an increase last week. This week I'm not allowing myself to look: I've hit a busy point in my RTT and OU courses and just don't have the time for writing applications this week. I'm an experienced teacher so I'm not particularly looking for NQT jobs. As Theo and my tutors at RTT have been saying, though, there is a short window now where teachers in post cannot apply for September jobs as it is too late to resign, so applicants at this time are up against a smaller field of NQTs, returners like me and unemployed teachers.
    I remember when I was an NQT I didn't get my September post until the start of July - the interview was in the first week of the summer holidays! So there is still hope for you!

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

It should be the other way around. The only experienced teachers a school can now get are those who are unemployed as others can't leave their post in time for September. Hopefully the bulk of jobs will be out this Friday x

4. I know, that's what is worrying me! Fingers crossed!

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

In my region, not one job has appeared in my subject since half term.
    My thoughts are that if there is no rush of jobs on Friday then there won't be much after that. So hopefully some will appear! No sign of it yet...

6. I agree. It does seem very quiet indeed. I am now applying out of phase.

7. I must admit, I was umming and ahing whether to hand in my resignation if I didn't get the job I applied for before half term (fortunately I got it!) as I am not happy at my present school. Glad I wasn't forced into making that decision as there has only been one part time job advertised here since half term. I expected my school my readvertise but they didn't and employed their second choice from an interview day before half term. Some of the other schools I applied to ened up with more than one post they orginally advertised and seem to have filled them from the orginal applicants rather than readvertising after half term and doing it all again.
    That said, there was a lot in my area before half term.
    Don't rule out mat covers. I started on one this year, then got a temp contract and now have a post for September as I will have completed NQT.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This Friday will be the best day for jobs.
    Fingers crossed!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!