1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you returned to teaching?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Nov 13, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

We all know about the recruitment and retention crisis blighting the teaching profession but it would be lovely to hear from those who decided to work in education again after a short break or years away from the classroom.

Have you been lured back into the classroom following a career break or working in a different industry? What made you decide to work in education again? How easy/hard was it to return to teaching? Are you still in the same role that you had when you left the profession? If you have changed roles, was this your decision or was it because of your time away from education? Are you glad you made the move to return to teaching or working in education? What did you miss about teaching and what do you love or appreciate more doing the job now?

It would be really interesting and inspiring to read about your reasons/experiences. Share your tips about your journey/route back into teaching. Has your time away from the profession made you a better teacher?

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I left teaching in 2006.
    I returned to teaching in 2008 as was made redundant.
    I am wanting to leave again as it is worse now than when I left in 2006.

3. -LittleMiss-

-LittleMiss- New commenter

hi
    i last taught in 2003, i had children, decided to work from home (own business), but now my youngest is at school, i just joined agencies again to get back into teaching. My agency think they can find me some work, but i havent had any yet.

It has actually been a horrible process getting back, because you need 2 teacher references, and if you have been away as long as i have, the teachers move on, you cant get that reference. When you finally find someone who can do a reference for you, they are too stuck up, and make excuses why they cant give you 1, example, its been a long time...

Also the teachers i worked with are no longer teaching, they can give a reference, but some supply agencies wont accept it because they want it from a school email address.

It really is hard getting back into it..I had offered to help as a volunteer at several schools, but they arent interested, they say they have enough volunteers or dont get back in touch.

At the end, 1 agency i found didnt mind if the reference was from a school address or not, so i am now just cleared with 1 agency.

If i couldnt get cleared to work with a agency i was seriously thinking about spending £600 to do the 12 week teach again course, i had enquired about it, and they said they could put me in a school near to where i live...that was on my 'if all else fails' list

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Bit hopeful tbh.

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Belle! Wot? You've only just started a 'fab' new job after walking out of the comp in July. Do you want to leave that as well?

I can't keep up with all your job moves.

catbefriender and agathamorse like this.
  6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I returned to the UK after many years teaching abroad.

What I have noticed is the schools I taught at back yonder that were put into special measures by Ofsted, now are academies and I can hand on heart detect no difference at all in their standards.....but they have all been levelled either good or outstanding.

The fakeness of it all was why I left and if anything, it has got worse. There has been no improvement in paperwork demands or meetings.

I quickly quit the full time position I had and now work part time.

catbefriender and agathamorse like this.
  7. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I am returning to teaching.

My new school has no behaviour problems, no data collection cycle, assessments whenever the teacher decides that they are appropriate, no flightpath, no interventions and I will be earning way more than a teacher on the main scale.

Obviously I am moving abroad.

JL48, Morgan93, red_observer and 4 others like this.
  8. BelleDuJour

I like the teaching.
    It's all the cr-ap that goes with it, in order to tick boxes to keep SMT in a job that makes me want to leave.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I took early retirement in 2008, after damaging my back further in the previous summer. I applied on medical grounds but was not deemed bad enough, so just took early. I went back 2009-10 to cover maternity leave, since then I have stuck to TEFL, much more enjoyable.

10. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I left mainstream teaching following an SA and WRS about four years ago. Since then I have done a little supply in a special school. It took me a couple of years to bring myself to the stage where I could even go in through the door, even though I had been asked to come to visit the school by a friend, so I knew it was a good place to work. Mostly I am doing something quite unrelated, though it uses a lot of the skills I built up over thirty years of teaching.
    I had a month at the special school, covering for a teacher who had an operation, and enjoyed it, but returning to teaching on a more definite basis? NO way.

11. BelleDuJour

12. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I worked at one of the 10 highest results scoring schools in my county - worked there for 8 years, then came lots of stress under MAT and new HT conditions - WRS - so left teaching.
    Stupidly went back, this time into a school which turned out to be one of the 5 worst results scoring schools in my county. Even quicker descent into WRS.
    Left. NEVER going back.

13. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Well, this was never going to be a positive thread! For what it's worth, I am making myself available for day to day supply (yet to be offered any work this term...) There is no way I will consider anything else - mainly because in my last permanent role the head told me that I was 'old school' and all I did was 'teach the children' - I kid you not! Thank goodness the union managed to circumvent Capability and I left with some of my dignity. This was six years ago and I did long term supply until my pension kicked in.

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I technically retired 4 years ago but I've spent today teaching in classrooms, and one of the groups was by no means easy to deal with, but we enjoyed it. This is a busy term for us - we've been turning bookings down. On Thursday we'll be back in the fray, and we put quite a few miles in for what we do. Next week it's a trip down to that London, working in a city centre school that gets heaps of pupil premium money. We love doing it, but that's because we're self-employed, and not stuck in the hamster wheel any more. We still teach to the National Curriculum, and the core job of helping children to learn is still worthwhile - it's the veneer of bureaucratic sh*te and the careerist agendas of some SLT members that I never wish to return to.

15. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I took voluntary redundancy in 2009 from my post as HoY in a school which was being closed by underhand means by the LEA. I had taught there for many years and despite the "hatchet-job" role of the last HT, I had enjoyed my teaching there. It had been a good school, a good place to teach with by and large a supportive staff and some great "characters' over the years. I accessed my pension and the redundancy situation coughed up the last bit so no actuarial reduction.
    I had initially planned on doing supply when I had decided to go for redundancy in the March of that last school year. However with one damaged, arthritic knee..... I was somewhat poleaxed when I tripped and injured the other. So in the November after I had finished I applied to my LEA to join the home tutor team and .... I love it.
    It is teaching. It is working with children with all sorts of different needs. I have taught - mostly KS3/4 Eng, Maths, Sci, IT, Geog, Hist, RE, as well as PHSE + other sundries. I have worked with kids who have been excluded from schools. The record was for one Year 11 who had 3 schools and 2 Prus in his score. I have worked with kids who have had from badly broken bones to a whole range of mental health issues - they have fallen into the main group. I tend to teach mostly English now (and was approached by one girl I had supported up to GCSE to help her with her A Level English) Right now I am working with a Year 5 girl who has SEN with many diagnosed and some undiagnosed issues and a Year 11 pupil with MH issues, target grade 9,8 and 7s for English Language and Literature. One of my ex pupils is well underway with her PGCE year having gained a 2:1 at Uni - she intends to teach special needs when she is qualified (we did a range of GCSEs together) another who was home schooled from year 3 til I picked her up in year 9, her having done no Maths in that time !! She is going to an agricultural college to do an animal care course.
    A downside of the job is that sometimes you don't get to find out how your pupils do and what happens to them - the odd one has done a "flit" from the authority, some have re integrated into school and schools are woeful at keeping you 'in the loop' (woeful too at supplying work which they are supposed to do. All too often you are lucky if they supply a textbook - can often be just a revision booklet.... ) I try never to send any work into school, unless it is requested - it never is, as on the odd occasion I have....they have lost it. Count into that the entire Year 10 work from one pupil doing the old OCR Science. Consider too that government dictates take no account of the difficulties that the children I teach have.
    However....since doing this I have had more thanks and gratitude which so motivates you..... I could have retired years ago as I am quite some way past my original ie before a cheating B*st*rd of government made me work longer for state pension stealing my money but I enjoy what I do and I feel I am making a difference.
    Of course I am doing this by choice and not being forced to work until mid- late 60s....like the poor souls following me....

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I taught for 2 yrs in 1980 then had my children. I did supply for the next 7 yrs then decided to be a TA because I wanted a job that fitted in with the kids and didn't take too much out of me. Did that for 7 yrs and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Went back into teaching in 2001 - it was seamless, like riding a bike. By the time I walked out 6 yrs later, it was all about the latest fad to make the results, the school, the HT look better year on year, and the blame game if you couldn't fake your data enough to demonstrate an ongoing upward trajectory of "success" and "improvement ".

I've been in admin ever since and I feel truly sorry for the poor schmoes who have it ten times worse now. I couldn't go back. I couldn't teach in the modern way. I couldn't be so controlled and monitored, and I simply do not have the tech expertise to teach almost exclusively by computer.

17. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

Mrs REMfan daid

"in the November after I had finished I applied to my LEA to join the home tutor team and .... I love it. "

You are most fortunate. Very few LEAs have control of such lists (including supply) since all being out sourced to agencies.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

Miss Marina said

"I've been in admin ever since and I feel truly sorry for the poor schmoes who have it ten times worse now. I couldn't go back."

My very best regards to you.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I left in 2001 after 23 years. Even if it were possible to go back no way would I consider returning and losing the much less well paid but incredibly fun and rewarding career I was lucky enough to build up afterwards.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Depressedandbroken

Depressedandbroken New commenter

I forgot to mention in another post that I returned to teaching in 2016 after a couple of years out due to WRS nearly breaking me! I, as you can see, am back to being broken. I just no longer feel safe in my classroom.

agathamorse likes this.