1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have you, or will you read "Tampa"?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by DogsareNOTstupid, Aug 12, 2013.

1. DogsareNOTstupid

DogsareNOTstupid New commenter

I'm not sure if I will or not. When I first heard of it, I dismissed it for the same reasons that I didn't read "50 Shades", however having read an interview with the author, where she explains her reasons for writing it, then I'm wondering if I should.

She said that she wrote it as females preying on underage boys was seen in our society as being less offensive as male paedophiles preying on young girls. The authoress says that she wrote the book in graphic detail to show that it was just as offensive.

I suppose I'm just wondering if, amongst the furore, if there is any literary merit in it at all?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have doggedly read the first chapter, found it so distasteful that I then abandoned it.

Whichever gender the 14-year-olds are, it is extremely offensive. May be the Headmistress coming out in me, but I was shocked.

Shocked.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

3. DogsareNOTstupid

DogsareNOTstupid New commenter

Thanks everyone.

Where did that really lengthy (and also interesting and funny) post go? I read it quickly one morning before work, and then have been locked out of my internet for a few days...???